Cameron 2010

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Oct 26, 2019
SHe needs to get back elbow up a little and become more dynamic, more stretch, more coil with intentions to hit the ball hard.
I bolded the most important advice you have gotten so far. Spend the next year or so praising her and celebrating every time she swings hard (yes even the misses). There is plenty of time to dial in the mechanics, but intent is #1.

Nov 26, 2020
I bolded the most important advice you have gotten so far. Spend the next year or so praising her and celebrating every time she swings hard (yes even the misses). There is plenty of time to dial in the mechanics, but intent is #1.
We agree - we are working on sequencing and intent. We set a goal using blast motion to be above 40MPH. We are going to work differently. Instead of trying to get the mechanics right first we are going to hit hard and fix from there.

Nov 20, 2020
SW Missouri
The short time DD has been involved with softball I’ve come to learn it can be as simple or as complicated as you want to make it. Especially when it comes to pitching and hitting. There’s fundamentals that are non-negotiable and those that are open to opinion/preference.

My two cents with what I’ve found working with my DD. Teaching kids to think “hit hard” or “home run” is key. Most young kids have a tendency to think “don’t strike out” or look for pitches to “not” hit. Change that first (if it needs to be) and encourage her to hit! What kid doesn’t want to be told it’s okay to swing? And that strike outs happen to everyone. She’ll learn hitting strategy and how to be more selective later. Can most 10u pitchers even pitch consistently for a batter to be selective? Some maybe. But not many. For my DD that alone was a game changer. Then came the goals of hitting for doubles, triples, and now home runs. Those goals require work and correct fundamental mechanics. We found that the combination of feeling comfortable to swing with purpose AND having goals to reach really helped the learning process.

I’ll leave the mechanics feedback to those with more experience. DD has started seeing a hitting coach and it’s done wonders in just a couple lessons. She’s had a naturally strong swing but it was ALL arms. Sequence was off, hands were dropping, casting, etc etc. We didn’t know what we didn’t know. Now that we cleaned that up she finds herself getting to the ball faster and had to readjust timing. Which is just an example of what once something gets fixed she’ll begin working on something else. But it’s a good thing!

My last comment is to keep it fun. She will learn faster. Don’t rush it. Pick 1-2 things to work on at a time and stay focused on those. Even if you see something else happening incorrectly. At the end of every practice I saved 5-10 minutes to let DD swing away. Whether she pictures my face on the ball or not she’d have to tell you.....

I know you posted looking for mechanical feedback but it’s so easy to get lost in it. Don’t let it feel like work. She’ll be better off for it.

Btw....a lot of good info in this thread. I often read these to pick up things for my DD as she progresses.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Nov 26, 2020
This is fantastic. Love the crowd reaction. Did someone say "Holy Sh*t!"? Ha.

oh and nice hit.
The ump apparently said to someone - " I wasn't expecting that!". It's fun when the little ones surprise you!

Jun 8, 2016
The ump apparently said to someone - " I wasn't expecting that!". It's fun when the little ones surprise you!
I thought it was cute that she stopped at 3rd and the coach was like "keep on going..." lol.

Nov 26, 2020
The short time DD has been involved with softball I’ve come to learn it can be as simple or as complicated as you want to make it. Especially when it comes to pitching and hitting. There’s fundamentals that are non-negotiable and those that are open to opinion/preference.

My two cents with what I’ve found working with my DD. Teaching kids to think “hit hard” or “home run” is key. Most young kids have a tendency to think “don’t strike out” or look for pitches to “not” hit. Change that first (if it needs to be) and encourage her to hit! What kid doesn’t want to be told it’s okay to swing? And that strike outs happen to everyone. She’ll learn hitting strategy and how to be more selective later. Can most 10u pitchers even pitch consistently for a batter to be selective? Some maybe. But not many. For my DD that alone was a game changer. Then came the goals of hitting for doubles, triples, and now home runs. Those goals require work and correct fundamental mechanics. We found that the combination of feeling comfortable to swing with purpose AND having goals to reach really helped the learning process.

I’ll leave the mechanics feedback to those with more experience. DD has started seeing a hitting coach and it’s done wonders in just a couple lessons. She’s had a naturally strong swing but it was ALL arms. Sequence was off, hands were dropping, casting, etc etc. We didn’t know what we didn’t know. Now that we cleaned that up she finds herself getting to the ball faster and had to readjust timing. Which is just an example of what once something gets fixed she’ll begin working on something else. But it’s a good thing!

My last comment is to keep it fun. She will learn faster. Don’t rush it. Pick 1-2 things to work on at a time and stay focused on those. Even if you see something else happening incorrectly. At the end of every practice I saved 5-10 minutes to let DD swing away. Whether she pictures my face on the ball or not she’d have to tell you.....

I know you posted looking for mechanical feedback but it’s so easy to get lost in it. Don’t let it feel like work. She’ll be better off for it.

Btw....a lot of good info in this thread. I often read these to pick up things for my DD as she progresses.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
[/QUOTE

I've gotten good advice from this thread but none better than sequencing and intent to hit the ball hard both related. If we had to do it over again I might do it differently but now she understands we want good mechanics but it's equally important to hit the ball hard with proper sequencing. We played four 10U games yesterday in three of them the pitchers were throwing high 40's. Her home run was against the slower pitcher. Her approach against the faster pitchers is that she is swinging at every pitch until she is not. If it's bad she has to stop. We say it's easy to hit and hard to stop.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Go_Ask_Mom