Cameron 2010

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Jun 8, 2016
Here's the deal with the hitting coach. He got Covid and while he was out I sent him some video from her session with him and talked about how bad she was just cutting across the ball asking for his opinion. He didn't respond and we haven't been back. I would consider going back for reps but we can probably accomplish more on our own. I loved the reps and the how he pitched to her and I didnt mind the focus on the lower half but he didn't break down to the swing enough. We started lessons because we wanted to get her better and stronger for 12U but it just wasn't comprehensive enough.
If he was actually pitching to her full windmill from game distance that certainly is helpful but I am not sure worth whatever you paying him per lesson. IMO, outside of finding a good hitting instructor (or perhaps equal in value....), buying a pitching screen and 2 buckets of balls and throwing her front toss at least 2 or 3 times a week (75-100 swings each time, e.g. 3 or 4 Home Depot buckets), along with working a drill or two, would be the best investment you can make assuming you can carve out the time.

Sep 19, 2018
Here's the deal with the hitting coach. He got Covid and while he was out I sent him some video from her session with him and talked about how bad she was just cutting across the ball asking for his opinion. He didn't respond and we haven't been back. I would consider going back for reps but we can probably accomplish more on our own. I loved the reps and the how he pitched to her and I didnt mind the focus on the lower half but he didn't break down to the swing enough. We started lessons because we wanted to get her better and stronger for 12U but it just wasn't comprehensive enough.
how many lessons did you get with him before he got the 'rona?

Oct 2, 2017
It's been a while since we have been to the hitting coach. I've basically paused everything to work on not cutting across the ball. I can tell there are other issues, arm bar, out of sequence etc. If you see something just let me know, we may need to put it on the list.
I was just asking that question about separation, because sometimes things get lost in translation with youth players, if they are being taught/asked to separate. They often times take that mean to push the hands back, and or reach back for more, hence arm bar etc.

Oct 13, 2014
South Cali
@JLI2010

Did you review the video? If you look at when protraction/retraction happen in the shoulders, it’s prior to the hips/torso advancing w your dd. It’s after for most good hitters. That to me is a faulty connection. I think we have been over this before. Don’t push the hands away, walk away from the hands.

1631202864744.gif

what this does is a few things..loads the shoulders and it let the hips/torso get ‘in front’ or in sequence (disassociate) so they can turn a bit earlier than the shoulders, so there can be a ‘whipping’ ‘unwinding’ action. As of now, Cameron is turning everything together at the ball so she must use her hands early and cut across. Loading the body in sequence makes it much easier to fire in sequence. It actually makes it a no teach. Sequence the load and the unload usually is automatic.

Last edited:
Nov 26, 2020
@JLI2010

Did you review the video? If you look at when protraction/retraction happen in the shoulders, it’s prior to the hips/torso advancing w your dd. It’s after for most good hitters. That to me is a faulty connection. I think we have been over this before. Don’t push the hands away, walk away from the hands.

View attachment 23814

what this does is a few things..
it let the hips/torso get ‘in front’ or in sequence (disassociate) so they can turn a bit earlier than the shoulders, so there can be a ‘whipping’ ‘unwinding’ action. As of now, Cameron is turning everything together at the ball so she must use her hands early and cut across. Loading the body in sequence makes it much easier to fire in sequence. It actually makes it a no teach. Sequence the load and the unload usually is automatic.
I did - Thank you! We're making some progress and I'm going to start talking again about the sequence. Definitely appreciate the feedback. I'm learning everyday and getting better at making this stuff sound more simple for her!

Oct 13, 2014
South Cali
Another thing that needs to be understood is that the load takes place around the spine. Not a leg or a hip or hands. The head needs to be stable. That doesn’t mean it can’t move a bit. It just means that when it’s time to ‘load’,the head should remain while the body gets ‘around’ it.

1631203512478.gif

Alo moves her head back a bit. But the weight stays centered and the hips/shoulders work around the spine.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
winters3478