Cameron 2010

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Nov 26, 2020
Thanks all! I'm wrapping my head around this. We've got practice tonight. I think I'm going to go with "Keep your shoulder in longer" and "don't let your hands move away from your body". This should naturally get her hands moving more with her body and help her posture. We shall see.

Nov 26, 2020
Here is what i see from my uneducated eyes. I agree with W=W, however i never understood the reasons for the drills specifically(edit:but now i think i do). I see your DD in a good initial position and she does a good job holding that at toe touch, she lowers the barrel a bit but not too bad IMO.

Where it goes bad is the first move is to push her hands away from her body, i guess i would call it casting. She keeps her wrist angles and doesn't lose her whip early, which is also good.

I am curious what others will comment, as this was also a high pitch and her tilt will be somewhat lost because of that. She seems to be arching her back to keep her bottom half the same but pushing out and swinging away from her body to get the high ball.

Her barrel then bounces down off contact from the level swing.

My thoughts would be to keep the hands high and tight and swing with the core then release barrel into ball 'after' the turn. This should allow her upper half to still keep the correct tilt. She is dropping hands below shoulder and releasing hands away from shoulder immediately.

Again, just my .02$, and hope the screen shots help.

View attachment 21518
View attachment 21522
View attachment 21519
View attachment 21520
View attachment 21521
Thank you for the time you put in!

Oct 13, 2014
South Cali
She’s still using the front shoulder and hips to launch the swing. The hands are too far back to start. Get them back near the back shoulder and let the forward move push them back to get loaded. Or put them next to her face during set up. You could try a waggle as well. You could try the j stone feet together drill. Review her set up and sequence in her HR vid as well.

the early hands is killing the shortness/quickness and direction of the swing.

edit: my dd prefers a distal hand set as well. I understand her need to feel the hands. She waggles and sometimes hand pumps so she doesn’t load them early.

1617951422754.gif

Last edited:
Nov 26, 2020
She’s still using the front shoulder and hips to launch the swing. The hands are too far back to start. Get them back near the back shoulder and let the forward move push them back to get loaded. Or put them next to her face during set up. You could try a waggle as well. You could try the j stone feet together drill. Review her set up and sequence in her HR vid as well.

the early hands is killing the shortness/quickness and direction of the swing.

edit: my dd prefers a distal hand set as well. I understand her need to feel the hands. She waggles and sometimes hand pumps so she doesn’t load them early.

View attachment 21637
Good advice - thank you

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
winters3478