Cameron 2010

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Nov 26, 2020
What led me here was a coach telling me that Cameron has to get her extension pointed more up and be more palm up palm down at extension. After reading some stuff in the technical forum I’m not so sure. Cameron is 10 and started softball about a year ago. She is small for age, 65 pounds and about 55 inches tall. I am not a coach but have picked up tips from watching her lessons and trying to learn about the swing. Take a look and please let me know what you think. Thanks!

Oct 26, 2019
That’s probably the right size - it looked longer for some reason. The biggest thing I see is she never really gets off her back side. When she loads she drifts/shifts weight back and “spins” on the back leg instead of drives forward.

Nov 26, 2020
That makes sense she used to drive her knee only to right field and would never pull the ball so we focus on driving the knee to the pitcher but she must be cheating.

Oct 13, 2014
South Cali
The sequence isn’t bad. Her set up needs some work. Her balance and posture is thrown off by her set up. Her starting point of ‘load’ is a bit flawed as well.

get her spine angle to match her shin angle in stance. See what it looks like. Should clean up a few things.

Nov 26, 2020
The sequence isn’t bad. Her set up needs some work. Her balance and posture is thrown off by her set up. Her starting point of ‘load’ is a bit flawed as well.

get her spine angle to match her shin angle in stance. See what it looks like. Should clean up a few things.

When she started playing we set her up with weight back and front heel up to get her quicker to the ball. It might be time to get her more 50/50. What do you think? I understand what you mean about spine angle - thanks!

Oct 13, 2014
South Cali
When she started playing we set her up with weight back and front heel up to get her quicker to the ball. It might be time to get her more 50/50. What do you think? I understand what you mean about spine angle - thanks!

depends on how she loads now. What you don’t want to see is her get over her back knee during that phase. The 50/50 will exhibit a more rhythmic type gather with less of a chance of getting over the back knee if done in the sagittal plane. The ‘back’ type set up can make things easier. But can create an all-back-forward type stride. All depends on how she moves best.. Try everything. Discard what doesn’t work well.

Nov 26, 2020
I went back and forth on getting her to stop swinging up because it was causing her to pull of the ball and top it. She couldn't stay flat and extend flat and we thought it wasn't the best idea to go backwards anyway. So we worked on getting bat more vertical hoping that would help solve the problem. What do you think?