Calming down a swing

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Jun 8, 2016
I guess that comment could be replied to any post on this board haha.
I was being sarcastic..I watched Greg Maddux mow down hitters for 15 years with a fastball which barely touched 90 so I am keenly aware that pitchers need to pitch and not just throw. The speed comments above were not implying that these young kids either were or were not good pitchers merely that there are some young kids out there throwing hard....

Nov 16, 2017
I was being sarcastic..I watched Greg Maddux mow down hitters for 15 years with a fastball which barely touched 90 so I am keenly aware that pitchers need to pitch and not just throw. The speed comments above were not implying that these young kids either were or were not good pitchers merely that there are some young kids out there throwing hard....

My first comment was not directed at you, just the conversation in general. It still shows a whether it be subconscious or overt, there is a general over appreciation of speed vs control and movement. There are 100 conversations like these compared to one where someone talks about how good a girl threw a drop ball. You rarely see a thread about a girl who got 12 batters out on 15 pitches because her drop ball was so good the batters just hit crap grounders to the infield and got thrown out. I have seen that, coolest thing eva haha.

Mar 13, 2015
Omaha, Ne
My first comment was not directed at you, just the conversation in general. It still shows a whether it be subconscious or overt, there is a general over appreciation of speed vs control and movement. There are 100 conversations like these compared to one where someone talks about how good a girl threw a drop ball. You rarely see a thread about a girl who got 12 batters out on 15 pitches because her drop ball was so good the batters just hit crap grounders to the infield and got thrown out. I have seen that, coolest thing eva haha.
This thread did get off topic a bit but I agree with you. A good drop ball pitcher is more effective at "high levels" than a flame thrower. Granted, you do need to have kids that can swing it when facing speed.

Sent from my SM-G935P using Tapatalk

Jun 8, 2016
At 10U speed kills for the most part as most of the girls don't have the mechanics and/or strength to be able to hit a ball being thrown 55+ from 35 feet but as they get older I agree with you 100%.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
winters3478