Calling Pitches

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

May 29, 2015
No, I don’t think any umpire would actually do that. It was hyperbole.

But not enough respect that you refrained asking to break the rules for your convenience (and were allowed to). Congratulations on getting what you wanted.

Jun 7, 2019
If the plate umpire said, “You know what? Your girl is having a hard time getting the ball over the plate, why don’t you go ahead and move her up five feet?” what would you think of that? Is it right?

Sorry, MIB, while you're certainly right, that IS a bit of a stretch as far as providing a comparison.

You'd think that a softball complex with that kind of odd configuration would have addressed that by now. They either create a ground rule to address that, or they make it known right up front that they play it by the book. Every team playing there will have that same problem, so that way, either way they go, no one has to go around the rules. Everyone knows at ground rules, which, by the way, is one of the things that holding ground rules is for.

In that same light, we have two high powered organizations here locally whose 18U Gold teams are regionally/nationally ranked (known?/recognized?) who hold two different annual showcase tournaments here. In both cases, when the big team plays, the head coach sits just outside the fence on his bucket calling pitches. Everybody knows its gonna happen, and we are directed by our assigner, the UIC and the TD to let it happen. And, yes, the other team is afforded the same courtesy. There is no advancement, ranking, W/L record or any other advantage affected by this arrangement. Just a work provider giving ground rules to the hired help.

Jun 7, 2019
facetious
adjective
fa·ce·tious | \ fə-ˈsē-shəs \
Definition of facetious

1: joking or jesting often inappropriately: WAGGISH just being facetious
2: meant to be humorous or funny : not serious a facetious remark

Yes, sir. I know the meaning of the word. But it didn't help address the issue. Which is why the last two words of the definition - often inappropriately - are important. Perhaps I should have used a smiley after that short comment to show that I wasn't being critical. Sorry, MIB.

Still, I stand by my example, which wasn't facetious,

Apr 28, 2019
No, I don’t think any umpire would actually do that. It was hyperbole.

But not enough respect that you refrained asking to break the rules for your convenience (and were allowed to). Congratulations on getting what you wanted.
Some rules should be broken Blue. The ones that don’t make sense. A badly designed dugout layout shouldn’t umpact the game in a negative way. There are usually exceptions to most rules. That’s why you ask so common sense can hopefully prevail. Nothing worse than a stickler who won’t budge or ever entertain the idea of changing something to better suit all parties involved. If everybody followed the rules to the letter it would be a very boring existence. No need for police, lawyers, judges, prisons.....

May 15, 2008
Cape Cod Mass.
The bottom line here is where is the competitive advantage of having to go outside the dugout and field fence to call pitches?????? I would much prefer to be with my players on the bench.

And in this case I most certainly did not break the rules. "Coaches, players, substitutes and other bench personnel shall not be allowed outside the designated bench,dugout/team area except when the rules allow or is JUSTIFIED BY THE UMPIRE." I pointed out the problem, which both plate umpires recognized, and received permission to be outside the dugout.

However if you to go 'by the book' I did break the rules on several occasions. I ran to the restroom without checking with the umpire (that is in rules supplement). When we took the field between innings I sent a sub out to play catch with my left fielder. My scorekeeper parent was outside the dugout. I sent a pitcher-catcher combo outside the fence into a grassy area so my pitcher could have a little warmup before I put her into the game.

Feb 17, 2014
Orlando, FL
The bottom line here is where is the competitive advantage of having to go outside the dugout and field fence to call pitches?????? I would much prefer to be with my players on the bench.

And in this case I most certainly did not break the rules. "Coaches, players, substitutes and other bench personnel shall not be allowed outside the designated bench,dugout/team area except when the rules allow or is JUSTIFIED BY THE UMPIRE." I pointed out the problem, which both plate umpires recognized, and received permission to be outside the dugout.

However if you to go 'by the book' I did break the rules on several occasions. I ran to the restroom without checking with the umpire (that is in rules supplement). When we took the field between innings I sent a sub out to play catch with my left fielder. My scorekeeper parent was outside the dugout. I sent a pitcher-catcher combo outside the fence into a grassy area so my pitcher could have a little warmup before I put her into the game.

Your actions are clearly a threat to the game and all involved. Sounds like the UIC was an idiot.

Jul 22, 2015
Every time we have played at a facility with the dugouts so far away we've been allowed to be on the field. If I wasn't I think I would just call out or give to the 1B or 3B and let them and let them relay.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Wes_K