Calling location and pitching

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Oct 4, 2018
I'll take a photo this weekend
It will make sense!

I was hoping that would be your answer. I am half tempted to build some device that basically blocks the middle of the plate. I've seen the cinder block ones but I don't want to destroy all my $6 brand new 12" balls. :p

Apr 28, 2014
I was hoping that would be your answer. I am half tempted to build some device that basically blocks the middle of the plate. I've seen the cinder block ones but I don't want to destroy all my $6 brand new 12" balls. :p
That's exactly what it does. We had the idea using Tees to set up spots. One coach had a traffic cone that was doubling as a tee. We got the idea. Works great to keep the pitcher off of the red part of the plate.

Nov 26, 2010
Michigan
My un asked for advice Do not attempt to catch for your dd with these sort of devices in front of you. Even in gear. A bad ricochet that close will hit you hard. Place in front of a net And stand back to watch.

Jul 3, 2013
My un asked for advice Do not attempt to catch for your dd with these sort of devices in front of you. Even in gear. A bad ricochet that close will hit you hard. Place in front of a net And stand back to watch.

DD was told to catch for her HS teammate while she worked on inside pitches. PC put a frigging trash can in the batter's box.

Pitchers and catchers need to practice together, but not like this.

NBECoach

Learning everyday
Aug 9, 2018
Here is just a basic outline of what we do until the catcher is trained on what to look for and what to call. Depending upon the sign stealing ability of the opponent we will change the order and/or add a 4th signal which is meaningless.
pitching.jpg

radness

Possibilities & Opportunities!
Dec 13, 2019
DD was told to catch for her HS teammate while she worked on inside pitches. PC put a frigging trash can in the batter's box.

Pitchers and catchers need to practice together, but not like this.
Put the PC in the trash can
in the batters box...
Now we have a target ;)

inumpire

Observer, but has an opinion
Oct 31, 2014
Pitch calling is so fun! It’s hard to use age as a determining factor of how to call pitches. If you’re pitcher cannot hit her spots using inside and outside then don’t add more to it. Make sure she can hit those spots before adding the four corners inside, outside, high and low. I would assume a 14 year old pitcher should be working on hitting the four corners. She also needs to understand how to throw a pitch low and away for a ball and when it’s necessary. Practice working the four corners and then 6 inches off the plate low and outside. These five spots are very powerful and a good foundation for advancement. Also, a 14 year old needs to know how to change speeds and do so with accuracy. Make sure this is incorporated in pitch calling.

Very good advice, I would like to ad, that they also need to learn to take advantage of the inside part of the plate. I see so many young pitchers that are afraid or will not for some reason use the inside of the plate.

Mar 20, 2015
Throwing inside can be very effective if it can be executed at the younger ages but it is more difficult. Throwing out side only 1/3 of the results are bad, throwing over the middle of the plate. Throwing inside 2/3 results are bad, throwing over the middle of the plate, and hitting the batter. Many young catchers target inside middle in fear of hitting the batter and feed balls down the middle.

Last edited:
Nov 30, 2018
Marikina, Philippines
Throwing inside can be very effective if it can be executed at the younger ages but it is more difficult. Throwing out side only 1/3 of the results are bad, throwing over the middle of the plate. Throwing inside 2/3 results are bad, throwing over the middle of the plate, and hitting the batter. Many young catchers target inside middle in fear of hitting the batter and feed balls down the middle.

Throwing inside can be mentally difficult, not physically. This is why I explain to my girls that the strike-zone is not 17" wide but 17" plus two ball widths. Then I take the plates away most of the time. They throw to the catchers, and catcher's gloves. The batter does not exist. It is just catch with the catcher's glove.

Mechanically the low inside strike is harder to hit than an outside pitch if the batter has a solid skill set. Delay is all you need on the outside corner and hit the ball deeper. Mechanical adjustment is required on the inside corner. And batter's "over-grip" makes it even harder to get the bat-head there.

Now a second point. Why do pitchers ever throw a pitch away on the corner to a slapper that isn't a changeup? The same principle applies, but if the footwork is correct, try to imagine how she can get the bat-head down on the inside corner!

Last edited:
May 17, 2012
Here is just a basic outline of what we do until the catcher is trained on what to look for and what to call. Depending upon the sign stealing ability of the opponent we will change the order and/or add a 4th signal which is meaningless.
View attachment 19005

I like how you think in terms of ball lengths when missing pitches, this is best practice in my opinion.

I am not a fan of the "batter position" influencing your pitch selection. Batters can easily manipulate this... Throw to your pitchers strengths and not what you batter is doing/standing/how they swing a bat warming up.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Bmac81802