Calling location and pitching

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Feb 20, 2020
Boston
14U coach here. Need help with how to call locations. Some use 0-5 which 0 is inside off the plate. 1 inside black etc. reading on here some use quadrants high outside. Any references to look at. Just trying to be better at coaching my pitchers and catchers and calling a game

Oct 26, 2019
I wouldn’t worry about anything other than inside and outside personally. Just teach your catcher to expand the zone as you get ahead in the count. Using your numbers the 0-0 pitch would be a “2”, the 0-1 pitch would be a “1” and the 0-2 pitch would be a “0”. Same would work for the other side of the plate.

we teach our catchers to start on the plate and work off as opposed to being too fine early and falling behind and having to come back towards the middle.

Jul 22, 2015
I just give inside/outside locations for my 18u team, as the pitch itself often dictates the up vs down location. I call with a wristband system, but I do have a signal that means I want the pitch more off the plate, as with maybe an 0-2 pitch.

radness

Possibilities & Opportunities!
Dec 13, 2019
Think there is a point where having a distinction between~
The edge of the plate
Vs.
Off the plate
Becomes Essential!!!

Actually around entire zone...
Edge of zone and Out of Zone

20200607_092803-1.jpg

This can be indicated by whomever is calling pitches.
And/or by the players awareness of
pitch count, the batter and situations.

Last edited:
Jul 11, 2020
Pitch calling is so fun! It’s hard to use age as a determining factor of how to call pitches. If you’re pitcher cannot hit her spots using inside and outside then don’t add more to it. Make sure she can hit those spots before adding the four corners inside, outside, high and low. I would assume a 14 year old pitcher should be working on hitting the four corners. She also needs to understand how to throw a pitch low and away for a ball and when it’s necessary. Practice working the four corners and then 6 inches off the plate low and outside. These five spots are very powerful and a good foundation for advancement. Also, a 14 year old needs to know how to change speeds and do so with accuracy. Make sure this is incorporated in pitch calling.

Apr 28, 2014
One great tool we used when DD was learning to hit spots was a traffic cone.
We got some PVC and made a simple stand and used it to hold up the traffic cone upside-down placed right on home plate.
Its the perfect tool to teach how to stay on blacks and corners low and high.

Oct 4, 2018
One great tool we used when DD was learning to hit spots was a traffic cone.
We got some PVC and made a simple stand and used it to hold up the traffic cone upside-down placed right on home plate.
Its the perfect tool to teach how to stay on blacks and corners low and high.

Huh?

I can't visually picture this at all. :)

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
winters3478