Calling al the Alabama HS officianados!

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Sep 29, 2010
Knoxville, TN
We are a little over three weeks away from our annual trip to the Gulf Coast Classic. Just got our schedules and need the scouting report for our opponents and some of the teams I expect to go deep in the tournament and some I don’t know. I’ll group by our pool play and then the other big names I know.

Pool Play: Sparkman, DeQueen, Ben Russell and Clarksville. Clarksville may be a TN team, but not 100% sure.

Need to know about Hazel Green, James Clemens, Bob Jones, Hartsville, Huntsville, Gulf Shores, Buckhorn, Magnet Cove, Fairhope and Boaz.

I know is a lot of teams, but I thought some people may know about 1 or 2. Any info would be appreciated.

Apr 16, 2010
Alabama
We are a little over three weeks away from our annual trip to the Gulf Coast Classic. Just got our schedules and need the scouting report for our opponents and some of the teams I expect to go deep in the tournament and some I don’t know. I’ll group by our pool play and then the other big names I know.

Pool Play: Sparkman, DeQueen, Ben Russell and Clarksville. Clarksville may be a TN team, but not 100% sure.

Need to know about Hazel Green, James Clemens, Bob Jones, Hartsville, Huntsville, Gulf Shores, Buckhorn, Magnet Cove, Fairhope and Boaz.

I know is a lot of teams, but I thought some people may know about 1 or 2. Any info would be appreciated.

Here is a list of what I know. It looks like they grabbed a list of Alabama state champs from the last three years and threw them into your pool/bracket. Our team is heading down the last week of the month and my fingers are crossed that it could be DD's first action after her broken ankle. They said 4-6 weeks so if she is good at 4 weeks she will have another week or two to rehab and she should be able to at least hit in Gulf Shores.

Sparkman is year in and year out one of the top teams in the state in the largest classification and has six state titles in the past 12 years. Well coached.

Benjamin Russell is solid but not world beaters unless they added some additional players this year.

DeQueen and Clarksville will be out of state teams.

We have James Clemens this weekend in a tourney and can tell you more about them afterwards.

I haven't heard of Hartsville so I think it should be Hartselle. Defending 6A state champs and solid but can be beat. We run ruled them in bracket play at a tourney last year.

Fairhope and Buckhorn won the past two 7A titles. Both have great pitching.

Hazel Green has an great sophomore pitcher that can also hit bombs. You will know her when you see her. They won 6A in 2017.

Apr 16, 2010
Alabama

PM me the schedule and I may recognize some other schools you haven't heard of.

Sep 29, 2010
Knoxville, TN
PM me the schedule and I may recognize some other schools you haven't heard of.

I knew you would come through for me, lol! You must be the only Bama guy on the board. Weve played James Clemmens, Sparkman and Bob Jones in the past two years. I’m also somewhat familiar with Hazel Green. FB friends with her dad and a friends DD played travel for him. Just don’t know who they all have returning. I’ll send the pool schedule now. Thanks!

Apr 16, 2010
Alabama
I knew you would come through for me, lol! You must be the only Bama guy on the board. Weve played James Clemmens, Sparkman and Bob Jones in the past two years. I’m also somewhat familiar with Hazel Green. FB friends with her dad and a friends DD played travel for him. Just don’t know who they all have returning. I’ll send the pool schedule now. Thanks!

Our tourney got shuffled because of the rain. but I did see Hazel Green and James Clemens. Hazel Green struggled with a weaker team that we ended up beating that night. They are still dangerous and started playing better as the game went on. I am sure the weather didn't help anything. The middle of their lineup is dangerous.

Buckhorn was at a different park but went 2-0. Sparkman played in a different tourney and was undefeated except by the rain. Beat a hard hitting Hayden team 8-1. Hayden is loaded offensively and has three or four DI commits and a couple of younger ones that are just waiting on the time to come to be contacted. To hold them to one run was a good job and says a lot about SHS and the lefty that threw. We faced her last year and lost 8-1 and DD had the only two hits and lone RBI. She wasn't as dominant against lefties that swing the bat as she was against slappers and RH hitters.

Hayden is our top competition in area play this year and our biggest rival. I expect to have to out score them rather than win a 3-2 game. We have much better pitching but if our #1 is a little off they can put 10 up quickly.

James Clemens didn't really stand out. Good pitching and solid D but just nothing that made me think they could compete at the highest levels in state. -

Sep 29, 2010
Knoxville, TN
Thanks for the info! Should be a great tournament. Wish we were coming in at 100%. Going to be tough to repeat with this field of teams, but that’s why we play it every year.

Apr 16, 2010
Alabama
Thanks for the info! Should be a great tournament. Wish we were coming in at 100%. Going to be tough to repeat with this field of teams, but that’s why we play it every year.

I am ready for us to be 100%. Kinda selfish since the only one not out there is DD but it will be at least another month for her after the follow up Monday. She will help against stronger teams and will be back before any post season play. They did beat our classes runner up from last year last night in 9 innings. For once I was glad DD wasn't playing and I didn't go. 36 degrees with a 30 windchill insured I was not missing anything.

Sep 29, 2010
Knoxville, TN
I am ready for us to be 100%. Kinda selfish since the only one not out there is DD but it will be at least another month for her after the follow up Monday. She will help against stronger teams and will be back before any post season play. They did beat our classes runner up from last year last night in 9 innings. For once I was glad DD wasn't playing and I didn't go. 36 degrees with a 30 windchill insured I was not missing anything.
Man I know it’s tough having your DD out. Hope she’s back at it soon! Kenzie’s PT is going well. She’s ahead of schedule. She MAY get to hit some at Gulf Shores, but won’t be back behind the plate til sometime in April. This is the first ball she’s ever missed due to injury. Our CF (D1 commit) still hasn’t been cleared to hit due to broken finger.

Apr 16, 2010
Alabama
Man I know it’s tough having your DD out. Hope she’s back at it soon! Kenzie’s PT is going well. She’s ahead of schedule. She MAY get to hit some at Gulf Shores, but won’t be back behind the plate til sometime in April. This is the first ball she’s ever missed due to injury. Our CF (D1 commit) still hasn’t been cleared to hit due to broken finger.

This is just my DD's luck. She has missed games the last three years because of some kind if injury. First it was a bruised knee with no damage but swelling. Then a high ankle sprain and now breaking the other. Her coach was laughing that she could be an All-American if she could play a full season. She gives 100% so I won't complain but dang she has bad luck.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Bmac81802