Called 3rd on a bounced pitch

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

radness

Possibilities & Opportunities!
Dec 13, 2019
Absolutely a funny experience when the pitch is low and bounces before or on the plate and is called a strike.

Catching use my glove on dirt pitches to field those,
its symbiotic to a strike.

;) wonder if those catchers that block everything give it away to the ump, its was not a strike,
cuz they have to block it?!?!

* No matter what the rules say,
The Umpire is always right. :)

Last edited:
May 7, 2015
SoCal
technically, the strike zone is the area above the plate, knees to middle chest (up for individual umps preferences). Therefore, a strike cannot hit the plate. However, the batter may have been way up in the box which doesn't actually change the zone but may influence the umps call. Either way, called strike is called strike. Can't protest judgements!

Jun 22, 2008
technically, the strike zone is the area above the plate, knees to middle chest (up for individual umps preferences). Therefore, a strike cannot hit the plate. However, the batter may have been way up in the box which doesn't actually change the zone but may influence the umps call. Either way, called strike is called strike. Can't protest judgements!

The umprires judgement must be based on the rules, and a pitch that hits the plate cannot by rule be a strike. So, regardless of the umpires judgement that is was a strike, it most certainly can be protested when that judgment does not fall within the rules.

May 29, 2015
First, let me say I am amused by the order of the OP's comments ...
*I am outraged!
*The parents let the umpires know about it!
*(What is the rule?)

;)

By rule and definition it certainly can be a strike. A strike only has to enter the zone. Hence, that inside or outside pitch that barely catches any boundary (edge of the plate, top/bottom of the zone) or breaks into or out of the zone is a strike. It does not have to cross the entire plate, stay in the zone for any time or distance, etc.

By common sense (as @Comp pointed out) it would rarely be called. (Yes, I have called it. Yes, the game was little kids and an awful game. Yes, I was trying to find ways to get everybody out of there before the next Ice Age ... movie or world climate event).

Oct 11, 2018
At least in USA softball per Rule 7.5.A. A ball is called by the umpire.........

• (Fast Pitch) For each legally pitched ball that does not enter the strike zone, touches the ground before reaching home plate, or touches home plate and the batter does not swing.

No strike in USA softball if ball touches the plate. Other codes may vary.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sstop28