Called 3rd on a bounced pitch

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Mar 8, 2016
I called one once in an awful 12u rec game that was a walk fest. I got so excited when I saw a ball coming in that looked like it was going to be a strike I called it a strike only to watch it drop like a rock and hit the plate. I just turned around to the parents and said that was a really good change up it sure fooled me.
We were playing in an 18u level tournament and the umpire called strike 3 on a girl on a ball that everyone in the park new was high and outside. You could see the umpire try and stop himself as soon as he did it. I asked the umpire in the field if he would ever change a ball/strike call if he knew he had missed it so bad. He said no that to keep control of the game you needed to stick with the call no matter how bad it was. He did say that if he missed a call in the field and knew it he would call time and go confer with the other umpire and then overturn it. I really appreciate umpires that are easy to talk to and trying to do their best.
With everything going I have made a pact with myself to not complain about umpires and fields and just be happy we are playing softball. It has been easy so far the umpires, weather and fields have been good. We will see if I can keep it up.

Oct 4, 2018
I've seen flip changes bounce on the plate and be called a strike. It really depends on the pitch. A fastball bouncing off the plate is a ball but a change can go either way. Utrip has the same strike zone as everyone else. But all umpires zones will vary.

My thought as well. I've seen 10U pitchers with their fancy new flip change that honestly is clocked at about 22 mph. It basically dies with a whimper at the plate. After passing through the strike zone.

Jun 7, 2020
I've seen flip changes bounce on the plate and be called a strike. It really depends on the pitch. A fastball bouncing off the plate is a ball but a change can go either way. Utrip has the same strike zone as everyone else. But all umpires zones will vary.
It was a fastball.

Apr 28, 2019
So was at the dd's gane last night and we had runners on 2nd and 3rd. 1 out. Full count. The pitch bounced on home plate. Ump called it strike 3. Our batter couldn't believe what had just happened. All the parents let the ump know how they felt. I was just shocked now bad of a call it was. So this leaves me with a question. What is the strike zone for a 12u USSSA? Thanks in advance.

The strike zone is supposed to be the same for every age group knees to arm pits. Nothing that bounces should be called a strike unless the batter offers at it. Doesn’t matter what type of pitch it is.
My guess on this one is ump had somewhere else he wanted/needed to be.
In the younger age groups the strike zones tend to be a little more liberal to speed the game along and help out the pitchers a little. But again nothing that bounces on or near the plate should be called a strike unless offered at.
Remember a strike is where the ball crosses the plate not where a catcher catches it/frames it.

Mar 14, 2017
Michigan
Umpiring 101, a pitched ball that hits the plate cannot be a called strike.

I'm not questioning you about the rule. This just got me thinking... If a batter was up in the box a change up could conceivably pass at the thighs looking like strike but bounce on the plate and be a ball.

It's a strike worthy pitch in the hitting zone, but becomes a ball after it passes her. Do you see this often? We always told our pitchers to bounce their change on the plate, but that's a swing and miss pitch.

I bet the crowd would go nuts.

radness

Possibilities & Opportunities!
Dec 13, 2019
Look apon it as you will...
Let it be known...
Pitches have bounced on,
around, and in front of the plate,
that have been called strikes.
They are part of history now:)

They will probably continue ;)

Forum statistics