Calculating scholarships

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Aug 19, 2012
I read a lot about D1 schools having 12 scholarships and d2 having 7.2 etc. Trying to understand what constitutes a scholarship.

If as a D1 example tuition is $20k a year and residence is $12k and other costs another $3-4k what amount is multiplied by 12?

Is the maximum amount available 12 x $20k or 12 x $32k or 12 x $35k?

Understanding that some schools stack athletic and academic and some don't, not all schools give the max allowed etc.

Trying to also understand what people mean when they say their daughter got a 50% or 75% scholarship. Is it generally understood that this is 50% of the total of all costs or 50% of only the tuition amount.

Apr 23, 2014
East Jabib
I don’t definitively know the answer to your question but keep in mind that a verbal commitment doesn’t always equate to an athletic scholarship. I know of several athletes who “verballed” since September 1 2020 who are getting zero athletic dollars (not Ivy schools) and are considered preferred walk ons. I think it happens more often than folks realize.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Nov 18, 2013
The breakdown is rather confusing for several reasons. For starters parents want to make it sound as good as possible so what the college offers say 25% of tuition, room and board, the parent might tell people they got a 50% scholarship and leave out the details just rounding the amount to roughly 50% of tuition.

The 12 scholarships at D1 can be very confusing. One scholarship is tuition, room/board and a stipend (at P5 schools) for total cost of attendance. As far as the dollar amount, it varies. One scholarship counts as one regardless if the dollar amounts vary for in/out of state tuition or reciprocity agreements. One may cost twice as much, but they each count as one scholarship.

The full cost of attendance stipend further clouds the equation because the coaches can decide to award the money to individual athletes or spread it amongst the team as they see fit. In essence it gives the P5’s 13-14 scholarships instead of the 12 everybody else is allowed.

Clear as mud right?

Dec 2, 2013
Texas
The breakdown is rather confusing for several reasons. For starters parents want to make it sound as good as possible so what the college offers say 25% of tuition, room and board, the parent might tell people they got a 50% scholarship and leave out the details just rounding the amount to roughly 50% of tuition.

The 12 scholarships at D1 can be very confusing. One scholarship is tuition, room/board and a stipend (at P5 schools) for total cost of attendance. As far as the dollar amount, it varies. One scholarship counts as one regardless if the dollar amounts vary for in/out of state tuition or reciprocity agreements. One may cost twice as much, but they each count as one scholarship.

The full cost of attendance stipend further clouds the equation because the coaches can decide to award the money to individual athletes or spread it amongst the team as they see fit. In essence it gives the P5’s 13-14 scholarships instead of the 12 everybody else is allowed.

Clear as mud right?
Yeah exactly. DD is getting a $5K scholarship. We could say she is getting 65% scholly if we only count tuition. Or we can say she is getting 37% based on total cost that includes tuition, dorm and meal plan. What is the most important number is, what does mom and dad have to pay.

Aug 19, 2012
I agree at the end of the day it really only matters in the net cost to the family however for a family trying to evaluate an offer it's definitely helpful to be able to compare apples to apples when you can.

Our daughter is a D2 school now where she is quite happy. Quite a few in her freshmen class have shared that they are not getting athletic funding.

Oct 2, 2012
on the Field
Had a college coach explain his scholarship budget this way: For every $5000 he spends on 1 player, he needs 5 additional players at $1000. The school ultimately wants students paying tuition. If he can get a player for $1000 with lots of other academic money the better. It totally makes sense and it accomplishes the schools goal of adding students.

Cannonball

Ex "Expert"
Feb 25, 2009
Good luck getting a consistent answer. My dd got 60% athletic and the rest academic. That covered everything including classes room and board and books. However, she didn't get the same academic monies. Her academic scholarship monies changed as she jumped into her major. Also, keep in mind that if a student wants to go over the summer, and some athletes do to try to graduate on time, that is not covered by these scholarships. At least they didn't apply to my dd. That one summer was the only time we had to pay anything. We were fortunate that my dd could live at home for those summer classes.

Jul 27, 2015

Clear as mud right?
I clearly had no idea how this was done. I always thought it was calculated
(total cost of attendance) / (number of scholarships available)

(and for colleges not fully funded, it did not really matter)

But I never thought through what cost of attendance meant in regards to in or out of state. So what you are saying is that in-state or out-of-state does not matter other than for $$ the school has to pay. I guess I should have thought that one through and come to that conclusion.

Regarding the original poster, if someone tells you a percent, you have to ask percentage of what? It makes a big difference.

It all makes sense now. When my daughter's big D1 offer was made from a fully funded school, it was as a percentage of the total cost (tuition and room and board) as an out of state student. When she got offers from not fully funded schools, it was always a dollar amount.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sstop28