Button-down jersey issues?

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Nov 18, 2015
10U. Looking at new jerseys. A few parents are concerned with a full button-down jersey option. Some of the girls have button-down/dress shirts and say the buttons get stuck on their belts if they have to tuck them in. Others are concerned about the button's "gapping", from a modesty perspective (this may have been in reference to the stomach area, not the chest - but not sure). As a Dad, I clearly can't relate to the latter. Another opinion was that button-down looked too much like baseball jerseys (although my google-search showed me nearly every WCWS team with full jerseys - not just with 2 buttons at the top).

Maybe these were issues years ago if you played in HS or college? For those of you on teams with these types of jerseys (yes - I got tired of typing "button-down"), has this been an issue? Is the fit an issue when trying to size both ends of the weight and height spectrum? I think it makes them look like real ball players - other than a sleeveless option, I wasn't aware there was a "softball" look for jerseys.

As always, thanks in advance for your feedback.

Should also add - I'm not looking for ammunition so I can go down in a blaze of sublimated graphics - just looking for feedback from the wider DFP community.

Apr 16, 2010
Alabama
We had no issues with the Mizuno button downs we wore at that age. Looked sharp and the girls loved them. If they get the right size there is no gapping and we never had issues with the buttons catching the belt.

Dec 26, 2017
Oklahoma
I can just share the direction I went on those.

We went away from them on the baseball teams I coached for one reason and one reason only- they were a giant pain in the rear. Trying to keep a herd of kids that age all buttoned up and the right buttons in the right holes, and keeping up with buttons breaking because they try to pull them on/off without doing the buttons just wasn't worth it. Now, that said, boys at that age are dumb lol. Maybe girls wouldn't have the same issues, but we've never wanted to deal with it.

Jan 5, 2018
PNW
We had uniforms one year that were full button down BUT were actually sewn closed except for the top two. So it had the look of a full button down jersey but w/o the issues that your team seems to be concerned about. They looked really sharp...and w/o the problems.

Feb 18, 2014
The older they get them more comfortable they are in sliders and a sports bra...... It's common to have a girl throw on a uniform or under armor without the least hesitation. The days of holding up a blanket are long passed. The sometimes too small button jerseys don't seem to phase them.

Feb 3, 2016
I don't know why anyone would use full button up shirts except for required work apparel or Church ETC.. :)

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk

Jan 27, 2010
NJ
DD has worn full button shirts for the last 9 years with no issues. I don't think we ever replaced a button and if there are worries about gaps, a cool shirt can be worn underneath. I'd hardly lose any sleep over it.

marriard

Not lost - just no idea where I am
Oct 2, 2011
Florida
For several years we have gone cheapest option - drifit's with team name on the front and number on the back.

Spent our money on actual softball related things and we still look sharp. Certainly hasn't affected the way we play :)

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Bmac81802