"but my swing works on lower level pitching"

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

May 12, 2016
I agree with this now more than ever. DD has been .600 hitter against lower level hitting. This year at A ball she struggled to be .380. Historically .980 contact percent. This year sub .800. 2 k’s per year vs 20. I try to video every swing and the flawed mechanics show exactly as CB says. A lot of under the ball. She has great hand eye coordination but that only gets you so far. She has flawed mechanics and is always under the ball trying to find the ball. With good plane mechanics a girl who is late or early will continue to foul the ball off but rarely strike out. Then once they match the timing, boom.

Can a girl be successful? Sure? But not elite. When DD made contact she put up some of the best slugging numbers on the team but just wasn’t reliable enough to be counted on in the lineup. If you don’t have solid mechanics you better have enough raw talent to be successful a lot otherwise I don’t see it lasting.
I agree 100% with both you and CB. I’ve seen this happen with girls on my DDs team. Mashing slower pitchers, strike outs against faster pitching. These girls were very good athletes, timing was good, but always under the ball

radness

Possibilities & Opportunities!
Dec 13, 2019
Too much loop in their swing. See it all the time, girls with a slight uppercut demolishing weak pitching and struggling with somebody who throws heat. Reason being, more arc on a slower pitcher vs faster pitcher.. slight uppercut matches the path of a slower pitcher.. while against the faster pitcher they are always under the ball. Now of course it's all relatively speaking, even good hitters will not have as much success against better pitching.. obviously. However if you find they are on time but under the ball.. then that's a flaw in their swing. Always teach hitters to stay on top of the ball.. and I don't mean hitting the top of the ball.. I mean the body position should support a top down approach. The barrel will still arc down to the ball.. but the hands and body will stay on top. This will allow the hitter to get on plane early and stay through the ball for a longer period. Posture is important, it allows the barrel to enter the zone early and supports staying in the zone for a long time. Use posture to achieve this... not immediate supination of wrist/forearms.
Recognized & Repeated 👍

Jul 28, 2020
Good athletes with poor technique can
Dominate lower levels. But to excel at higher levels you need techniques that are on a par with the competition, regardless of athleticism. Slow long swings won’t win against fast pitching.
Wow, I could have wrote most of that quote verbatim.

I will add its not just slow swings, good athletes can wait longer against slow pitchers and still have enough time to get in a technically sound swing. But I see so many good hitters fail against fast pitching because they refuse to be active on every pitch (the Go/Go/Go - Go/Go/No logic) . As a result they wait too long and are late, or they resort to a cramped version of what used to be a good swing.

Mar 10, 2020

I will add its not just slow swings, good athletes can wait longer against slow pitchers and still have enough time to get in a technically sound swing. But I see so many good hitters fail against fast pitching because they refuse to be active on every pitch (the Go/Go/Go - Go/Go/No logic) . As a result they wait too long and are late, or they resort to a cramped version of what used to be a good swing.
Being late is not the result of a good hitter.
Its the result of bad approach
physical or mental.

Aug 20, 2017

I’m telling yall, incorporate a “swing at everything” round at every BP session! If they take one make them do up downs or something. This gets hitters tuned up quickly. Swing at everything rounds typically produce more mashed balls than any other round and hitters quickly realize “I can hammer balls that aren’t right down the gut.” It will also help relieve fear of swinging at a bad pitch. It will also help with timing once they get to the point that they are fully committed to swinging at every pitch the pitcher throws. Once you have tuned the hitter up, do a bunch of take/hit drills off tees. As the hitter strides the coach yells take or hit. This will help them develop the ability to put the brakes on the swing once they recognize it’s a ball. Must tune them up first though and allow theM to swing at a few bad ones in games. Your hitters will have that light bulb moment mentally and watch out! They bout to get hot at the plate

radness

Possibilities & Opportunities!
Dec 13, 2019
I’m telling yall, incorporate a “swing at everything” round at every BP session! If they take one make them do up downs or something. This gets hitters tuned up quickly. Swing at everything rounds typically produce more mashed balls than any other round and hitters quickly realize “I can hammer balls that aren’t right down the gut.” It will also help relieve fear of swinging at a bad pitch. It will also help with timing once they get to the point that they are fully committed to swinging at every pitch the pitcher throws. Once you have tuned the hitter up, do a bunch of take/hit drills off tees. As the hitter strides the coach yells take or hit. This will help them develop the ability to put the brakes on the swing once they recognize it’s a ball. Must tune them up first though and allow theM to swing at a few bad ones in games. Your hitters will have that light bulb moment mentally and watch out! They bout to get hot at the plate
THE GREEN LIGHT IS ON !!!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Bmac81802