Bush League or Smart Coaching?

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Greenmonsters

Wannabe Duck Boat Owner
Feb 21, 2009
New England
Bush? Not really. Smart? No. Silly? With all the pitchers having at least 7 mpitches and impeccable contro at 10U, yes!

At older ages, Any smart, experienced coach easily can put an end to the practice immediately or quietly turn the situation to their advantage.

IMO, trying to steal signs and gain an advantage is part of the game; however, the key is to be able to subtlely pass on the information. Make it obvious and the opponent just changes their signs or waits to cross you up in a key situation. I always got a kick out of selectively telling batters what pitch was coming and seeing if I could get into their head.

May 16, 2016
Illinois
I don't like coaches tipping the location of pitches, especially at the younger ages like 10u where you have coaches that are still trying to teach the basics of the game to young players. At the high school level I don't care for tipping pitches either but it can be part of the game. At the high school level it is expected that your team hide the location of pitches but I understand that not every high school has an experienced catcher.

Oct 3, 2011
Right Here For Now
Sorry, I am a catching instructor so if the coaches and players on second base are tipping the pitches, then the catchers are setting up way too early. I teach my catchers not to set up until the pitcher starts their forward arm motion. That said, Bush league for coaches and totally acceptable for players because stealing signs, looking for tells in the pitcher's motion or grip and various other things are all part of the game. The coaches calling it out....Total Busch League. However, a smart coach can turn either situation to their advantage. Have your catcher set up early, then have them move to their true location as the pitcher starts her forward arm movement. That'll shut them up pretty quickly as long as you mix it up. I.E. two pitches have them set-up early and switch to the true location. Next pitch have them set-up early and stay there. First pitch have them setup early and stay there and the next three have them move at the last minute. Be random. It's a quick fix to a stupid problem.

Then again, if the catchers were properly trained, they wouldn't have that problem since the pitcher's in motion and even if the coaches or players were calling it out, the hitter is totally focused on the ball speed and location expected from the delivery, probably wouldn't even hear them let alone pay attention to them, more than likely be distracted by them and STILL have to hit the pitch thrown. Many players have a tough enough time hitting the ball with no distractions let alone adding more of them into the mix. I LOVE PLAYERS AND COACHES THAT DO THIS!!!!! I have decent pitchers on my showcase team and we are far more successful when the other team does this sort of CR@P because they totally lose all focus and can't hit at all against us. BTW....I totally set them up.:rolleyes:

Feb 7, 2013
Sorry, I am a catching instructor so if the coaches and players on second base are tipping the pitches, then the catchers are setting up way too early. I teach my catchers not to set up until the pitcher starts their forward arm motion. That said, Bush league for coaches and totally acceptable for players because stealing signs, looking for tells in the pitcher's motion or grip and various other things are all part of the game. The coaches calling it out....Total Busch League. However, a smart coach can turn either situation to their advantage. Have your catcher set up early, then have them move to their true location as the pitcher starts her forward arm movement. That'll shut them up pretty quickly as long as you mix it up. I.E. two pitches have them set-up early and switch to the true location. Next pitch have them set-up early and stay there. First pitch have them setup early and stay there and the next three have them move at the last minute. Be random. It's a quick fix to a stupid problem.

Then again, if the catchers were properly trained, they wouldn't have that problem since the pitcher's in motion and even if the coaches or players were calling it out, the hitter is totally focused on the ball speed and location expected from the delivery, probably wouldn't even hear them let alone pay attention to them, more than likely be distracted by them and STILL have to hit the pitch thrown. Many players have a tough enough time hitting the ball with no distractions let alone adding more of them into the mix. I LOVE PLAYERS AND COACHES THAT DO THIS!!!!! I have decent pitchers on my showcase team and we are far more successful when the other team does this sort of CR@P because they totally lose all focus and can't hit at all against us. BTW....I totally set them up.:rolleyes:

And that's the other issue, the JV catcher has only been playing softball two years and has never been properly trained, so just catching a movement pitch is a challenge, let alone teaching her the nuisances of the catching game (e.g. when and where to set-up to receive the pitch).

Jun 12, 2015
I just think coaches should stay out of the playing of the game. Call pitches, coach the bases. Let the girls play the game. We played a team recently where from the first pitch one of the coaches was yelling out to the batter, "She's really struggling out there!" and things like that, trying to rattle the pitcher. The first base coach yelled BOO really loudly when our 1B was making a play to try to make her miss. Things like that. Shut up and let the kids play. Do you not think they can win without your help? It's irritating and yes, bush league IMO.

Nov 3, 2012
Kind of bush at the JV level. But eventually, catchers have to learn how to set up as late as possible. That's just part of being a good catcher. You get to the college level or even competitive travel ball, coaches will pick up on this right away and take advantage of it. Coaches will pick signs have some type of quick communication system with there batter. Being stealthy is just part of the game that you got learn to play.

Oct 11, 2010
Chicago, IL
I would much rather the coach teach the batter and keep thier mouth shut. Batter should be able to figure it out as well as coach. Should be 14 to 17 year olds.

Strike2

Allergic to BS
Nov 14, 2014
I just think coaches should stay out of the playing of the game. Call pitches, coach the bases. Let the girls play the game. We played a team recently where from the first pitch one of the coaches was yelling out to the batter, "She's really struggling out there!" and things like that, trying to rattle the pitcher. The first base coach yelled BOO really loudly when our 1B was making a play to try to make her miss. Things like that. Shut up and let the kids play. Do you not think they can win without your help? It's irritating and yes, bush league IMO.

Trying to tell their own hitter where the next pitch might be is silly, but deliberately trying to distract the opposing team while the ball is in play is in a totally different category.

A base coach behaving that way should draw attention from the umpires as that kind of unsportsmanlike behavior should easily draw a warning / ejection.

It's also a very fast way to get a whole lot of negative "feedback" from the targeted player's coach and parent.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sstop28