Bush League or Smart Coaching?

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Feb 7, 2013
Last week, DD pitched in a HS JV game and the other team's 1st year head coach (coaching 3rd base) was telling her batters loudly where the catcher was setting up before every pitch.

Did the HC cross the line or is this acceptable to you?

ian

Jun 11, 2015
Would be fun to face this situation as an opposing coach. If the catcher and pitcher could handle it, I'd call an outside pitch then have the catcher set up early inside. The coach would yell 'outside' then as the pitcher started the wind up catcher would creep inside to receive the pitch. Batter would be all jacked up.

Or simply have the catcher not set up until the wind up (like they are supposed to?).

DD faced a team where a runner on second would flash hand signals giving location to the batter. I think this is common for upper level teams, but not sure.

Mar 9, 2015
Our HS team verbally calls pitches using numbers and this weekend the opposing HC was yelling out random numbers in an attempt to confuse our pitcher & catcher. Didn't work we mercied them in 5 innings but thought that was bush. LOL

May 20, 2015
Bush

easy to deal with, but still utter bush

i think one pitch of having the catcher set up low & outside early, with the pitch coming up and in would go a long ways towards making a point, though

May 20, 2015
Our HS team verbally calls pitches using numbers and this weekend the opposing HC was yelling out random numbers in an attempt to confuse our pitcher & catcher. Didn't work we mercied them in 5 innings but thought that was bush. LOL

yeah, i'd have a 'conversation' with this coach pretty quickly

Feb 17, 2014
Orlando, FL
Had this happen a few times with my DD in the circle. After suggesting to the coach he not go there I helped him out. I started telling DD clearly and loudly what pitch to throw, where to throw it, and why. Total ownership of the other team. :)

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sstop28