Bunting

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

May 23, 2012
Eastlake, OH
PC, Does your DD usually bunt for a base hit or more to sacrifice? My oldest can get 'em down but she couldn't beat 'em out. Speed is a nice skill to have.

Aug 21, 2011
38°41'44"N 121°9'47.5"W
I would start with her footwork. Look at her back foot in the picture attached. It's taken from the 2nd video. Her back foot is pointed towards the shortstop and her front foot is pointed towards 1st base. She is not balanced at this point. Have her point both feet in the general direction of 1st base with her knees bent for a more balanced position.

Footwork.jpg

May 23, 2012
Eastlake, OH
I would start with her footwork. Look at her back foot in the picture attached. It's taken from the 2nd video. Her back foot is pointed towards the shortstop and her front foot is pointed towards 1st base. She is not balanced at this point. Have her point both feet in the general direction of 1st base with her knees bent for a more balanced position.

View attachment 4651

Seen plenty of coaches show them by giving them a light push with the hands so the player can feel if they are balanced or not.

Jan 8, 2013
South Carolina
The original poster was talking about a 10U team. Isn't the cross-over a little too much for that age group?

Also, isn't there a distinction to be made between bunting to get on base and a sacrifice bunt? If you are doing a sacrifice bunt, you want to get the ball down, and you aren't really concerned with getting out of the box fast.

Agree that at 10u the pivot is the easiest way to go. A coach recently changed the way my DD bunts and it really made a huge difference in her ability to place a bunt consistently where she wants it to go (she is first year 12u).

She use to keep the bat parallel to the ground. Now she has the bat at an angle and moves the bat up and down keeping it at at angle (approx. 45 degrees). Depending on where she wants the bunt to go she moves the handle back/bat head forward to go to 3rd or bat head back and handle forward going to first...but always keeping the bat at an angle and not parallel to the ground and never bat head below parallel.

She is just now old enough to go out for school ball and this is how the high school coach teaches the girls to bunt. Having the bat head level will cause a lot of foul balls and pop ups. DD has only been doing this about three weeks and I saw a noticeable difference in her bunts this weekend in a tournament.

Jan 4, 2012
OH-IO
Did I see that right, is that Classics versus Hawks in the 2013 video?

no.......it was the Chamionship Game.... Both Games... you like that ??? I guess it was supposed to be a sac... ??? she just does the signals...She has a bunting bat... I never told the coach....

Last edited:

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Go_Ask_Mom