Bunting

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Nov 8, 2018
There is no way to consistently get bunters outs.

Exactly.

The only consistent way to beat kids with a good short game is to have a better defense.

The pitcher is simply trying to make the batter have a less than perfect bunt. That is it.

(As to 3B being asleep...what about the coaches? They must have been catatonic.)

Yeah. I don’t know what the heck was up. Out 3 base is very good. Massive disguise on the batter and third didn’t come all the way down. I’m thinking fear of then unknown. Maybe. As far as making it more difficult. High pitches as stated by others. ?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

sluggers

Super Moderator
Staff member
May 26, 2008
Dallas, Texas
Yeah. I don’t know what the heck was up. Out 3 base is very good. Massive disguise on the batter and third didn’t come all the way down. I’m thinking fear of then unknown. Maybe. As far as making it more difficult. High pitches as stated by others. ?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Bunters fall into two categories: situational bunters and skilled bunters (probably slappers).

Situational bunters rarely bunt. They usually swing away, but every once in a while they might sacrifice bunt or do a bunt to catch the defense napping. For situational bunters, the pitcher throws high and inside strikes. The pitcher mixes in low and away out of the strike zone to try to get them to chase. The batter is not very skilled, so a skilled pitcher can tie the batter into knots (E.g., watch MLB players try to bunt.)

The kid in the OP was not a situational bunter. She was a skilled bunter (probably a slapper), who bunts to get on base. She knows all about the inside and high pitch strategy. She probably wears elbow protectors and padding so she can get hit by pitches without risking injury. She knows the strike zone.

A good pitcher vs. a good slapper (or any good hitter) is a battle of will. It comes down to how many times the pitcher can hit a corner.

May 15, 2008
Cape Cod Mass.
Bunters generally prefer the 3rd base line so we pitch them to the 1st base side of the plate and make them bunt that way. Most of them are not as good bunting in that direction. We also have the pitcher prepared to aggressively cover that side and make it plain that those are her bunts to field.

Jan 28, 2017
Also remember someone saying if you can throw a screw ball to a LH hitters front knee and run it over the plate. I would think that would be good. Hard to do but good

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Bmac81802