Bunting

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Nov 8, 2018
DD’s team played in a showcase this weekend. First one ever and they are 14u. Competing against 16-18u teams. The power and speed difference was apparent.
My dd had a lead off hitter that bunted on 3 x in the game. Didn’t slap or drag bunt. Was a lefty but just did a quick bunt toward third.
Are there pitches or locations that are best against bunters. ?Righty or lefty. We have slappers down. In on the hands but bunters not so sure what’s best.
Any help would be appreciated.
Thanks gang.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Aug 30, 2014
Central Ohio
Not sure there is one size fits all since can vary by pitcher. I like to work known bunters high trying to induce a pop up and low and away trying to induce fouls. That has worked for us pretty decent. In on the hands on a bunter is not as effective it seems as it is for a slapper. I’m interested to see others opinions also.

Jul 1, 2019
Same as above, DD has had a good bit of luck throwing high fastballs and just below the strike zone changeups (which tend to have them chasing it), both have resulted in lots of foul balls. Then she comes hard with drop or curve if she's got them 0-2. DD is also 12U so your milage may vary.

May 16, 2016
Illinois
3rd baseman needs to be quicker. Your 3rd baseman was sleeping to let this happen 3 times in one game.

A good bunter is going to get the bunt down regardless of the pitch (most of the time). If you pitch inside she will bring the bunt towards 1st base, pitch outside the bunt will go towards 3rd. Same as a good hitter.

Jan 28, 2017
Rise is probably the most common. Drop for a strike if they take the rise. Change if running seemed to be what our TB coach called. She was elite in college.

Oct 4, 2018
3rd baseman needs to be quicker. Your 3rd baseman was sleeping to let this happen 3 times in one game.

A good bunter is going to get the bunt down regardless of the pitch (most of the time). If you pitch inside she will bring the bunt towards 1st base, pitch outside the bunt will go towards 3rd. Same as a good hitter.

We play our 3B in pretty close when we expect a bunt.

sluggers

Super Moderator
Staff member
May 26, 2008
Dallas, Texas
There is no way to consistently get bunters outs.

Exactly.

The only consistent way to beat kids with a good short game is to have a better defense.

The pitcher is simply trying to make the batter have a less than perfect bunt. That is it.

(As to 3B being asleep...what about the coaches? They must have been catatonic.)

Last edited:
May 27, 2013
I would call a rise or changeup - slower pitch gives your defense a slight advantage to get to the ball a little quicker after she squares. We all know milliseconds count in this game!

Latest posts

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Go_Ask_Mom