Bunt, round 1st?

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

May 30, 2013
Binghamton, NY
scenario:
Runner on 3B
Batter bunts
Batter-Runner choses to ROUND 1B and attemept to take 2B or get in a run-down so 3B Runner can try to score...

Is the Batter-Runner allowed to take a turn at the FRONT of the 1B bag? Or does she have to run straight through the bag before taking a turn?

If allowed to turn at front of bag:

1. what if the throw from the fielding player to 1B hits her?

2. What if 1B player impedes the progress of the Batter-Runner?

i think I answered my own question, but figured Id ask this group

thanks

Strike2

Allergic to BS
Nov 14, 2014
It would depend on whether there's actually a play being made at 1B. If no play, then 1B needs to clear a path, or it could be obstruction. If the BR interferes with the normal actions of the First Baseman to make a play at 1B, she's out. That would include running into 1B while she's receiving the ball in the field of play, or moving out of the running lane and into the field of play and then being hit by a thrown ball that would have been an out. Rounding the bag while a play at 1B is being made is something I've never seen before.

Dec 10, 2015
Chautauqua County
I see this at the 10U, 12U levels. I would think BR needs to be using the orange bag if there is a play being made at 1B and if she doesn't, that would be interference. Runners need to be aware of the reason for the orange bag.

Aug 20, 2017
It would be a judgement call by umpire if ball is thrown to 1B and runner rounds without running straight through which I’ve never seen either. Most likely runner is out for interference if contact is made

MTR

Jun 22, 2008
scenario:
Runner on 3B
Batter bunts
Batter-Runner choses to ROUND 1B and attemept to take 2B or get in a run-down so 3B Runner can try to score...

Is the Batter-Runner allowed to take a turn at the FRONT of the 1B bag? Or does she have to run straight through the bag before taking a turn?

The BR can turn any time as long as they touch the base and does not interfere with a defender attempting to receive a throw..
If allowed to turn at front of bag:

1. what if the throw from the fielding player to 1B hits her?

It is a live ball unless the umpire believes the player did something not a normal act which interfered with the throw
2. What if 1B player impedes the progress of the Batter-Runner?

Obstruction

May 30, 2013
Binghamton, NY
what if the 1B defender sets up to receive the throw, but the fielding player (lets say 3B) fakes throw to 1B but then turns to either look back the 3B runner or throws behind her to get the 3B runner in a pickle...

If the batter-runner rounds the (front of) bag and makes contact with the 1B defender?

admittedly, not a likely play - the batter-runner probably wouldnt be aware if the throw is coming or not. but still an interesting scenario

MTR

Jun 22, 2008
what if the 1B defender sets up to receive the throw, but the fielding player (lets say 3B) fakes throw to 1B but then turns to either look back the 3B runner or throws behind her to get the 3B runner in a pickle...

If the batter-runner rounds the (front of) bag and makes contact with the 1B defender?

Obstruction

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Bmac81802