Bunt Never an Infield Fly

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Aug 1, 2019
South Carolina
Anybody here know why every rule set won't allow for a bunted ball to be an Infield Fly? I've seen some bunt attempts end up going high into the air, and it would be very easy for a savvy infielder to let the ball drop to the ground to start an easy double play, which is the fundamental purpose behind the Infield Fly Rule.

The only thing that I can think of is that maybe the possibility of a DP is much less when infielders come in when the batter shows bunt, and the ball is popped up instead. With F3 and F5 moving in, F6 ends up covering third, and F4 covers first, so the likelihood of retiring R1 and R2 as they stay near their bases and then take off when the infielder lets the ball drop is pretty slim.

But if the batter surprises everyone with a drag bunt, and pops it up to F1 instead, the infielders may be in a much better position to turn a DP should F1 let it drop.

Just wonderin...

marriard

Not lost - just no idea where I am
Oct 2, 2011
Florida
Anybody here know why every rule set won't allow for a bunted ball to be an Infield Fly? I've seen some bunt attempts end up going high into the air, and it would be very easy for a savvy infielder to let the ball drop to the ground to start an easy double play, which is the fundamental purpose behind the Infield Fly Rule.

I suspect it is because the rule is designed to protect the offensive team and in the case of a bunt it is felt that the offensive team has put themselves in this position versus a full swing which has been popped up for an easy out. Of course the rule goes back to 1895 so who knows what they were thinking.

There are several examples of MLB players letting the bunt drop for a double play on YouTube.

Reactions: TMD
Aug 30, 2015
I don't recall reading that a bunt doesn't qualify for an infield fly.

Can you cite the rule from somewhere?

marriard

Not lost - just no idea where I am
Oct 2, 2011
Florida
I don't recall reading that a bunt doesn't qualify for an infield fly.

Can you cite the rule from somewhere?

I know of no sanction that doesn't exclude line drives or bunts from infield fly

NFHS it is 2-30
Infield fly rule is, when declared by the umpire, a fair fly (not including a line drive or an attempted bunt) that can be caught by an infielder with ordinary effort

USSSA has the same wording:
INFIELD FLY.An infield fly is a fair fly (not including a line drive or an attempted bunt)

Aug 1, 2019
South Carolina
I suspect it is because the rule is designed to protect the offensive team and in the case of a bunt it is felt that the offensive team has put themselves in this position versus a full swing which has been popped up for an easy out. Of course the rule goes back to 1895 so who knows what they were thinking.

There are several examples of MLB players letting the bunt drop for a double play on YouTube.

Interesting theory. “If you can’t execute a bunt, you deserve the worst possible outcome.” I like that!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Jun 7, 2019
USA is the same.

RULE 1. DEFINITIONS
INFIELD FLY

"A fair fly ball, not including a line drive or an attempted bunt, which can be caught by an infielder, pitcher or catcher with ordinary effort when first and second, or first, second and third bases are occupied with less than two outs."

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
brookeshaelee