bunt hit batter

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

May 8, 2008
If a batter bunts a ball and it strikes her outside the box while running, can the runners on base advance? I know the batter is out. Similiarly, if a batted ball hits a baserunner, that runner is out, can the others advance. I don't believe any runners can advance on a dead ball, is that correct?

May 13, 2008
If a batter bunts a ball and it strikes her outside the box while running, can the runners on base advance? I know the batter is out.

No, the ball is dead. No runners advance.

Similiarly, if a batted ball hits a baserunner, that runner is out, can the others advance. I don't believe any runners can advance on a dead ball, is that correct?

Not so fast... a batted ball can actually hit a runner and have the ball still in play. For example, if the ball touched a defensive player before hitting the runner. Or if the ball passed a fielder who had a chance to make a play, the ball is in play and the runner is not out. Also, if the runner is still on base when struck by the ball she is not out.

Now if you have a runner who is off base and is struck by a batted ball before it passes a fielder (other than the pitcher) who has a chance to make an out the runner is out, the ball is dead, and the batter-runner is awarded first base without the liability to be put out.

May 8, 2008
Thanks, I just assumed that the other variables were know. In your last part of the response, the batter gets first what if there was a runner on third, would that runner be able to advance.

May 13, 2008
Thanks, I just assumed that the other variables were know. In your last part of the response, the batter gets first what if there was a runner on third, would that runner be able to advance.

Any runner not forced must return to the last base reached prior to the interference.

Tex

Sep 13, 2011
Sure is amazing about all the new rules that don’t exist, that are listed in these discussions!!!

NFHS Foul Ball and batted ball hitting base runner

2-25-1 . . . Foul Ball. (The ball is dead) A foul ball is a batted ball that:
a. settles or is touched on or over foul territory between home and first base, or between home and third base;
b. bounds past first or third base on or over foul territory;
c. first falls to the ground or is first touched on or over foul territory beyond first or third base;
d. while on or over foul territory, touches the person of an umpire, a player or any object foreign to the natural ground;
e. while over foul territory, a runner interferes with a defensive player attempting to field a batted ball;
f. touches the batter or the bat in the batter's hand(s) a second time while the batter is within the batter's box;
g. goes directly from the bat to any part of the catcher's body or equipment and is caught by another fielder.

Extra Question: A batted ball that hits a base runner.
Answer: Dead ball, the hit base runner is out. All runners still on base, will advance one base if forced. What else are you going to do with the batter??

May 29, 2015
Sure is amazing about all the new rules that don’t exist, that are listed in these discussions!!!

NFHS Foul Ball and batted ball hitting base runner

2-25-1 . . . Foul Ball. (The ball is dead) A foul ball is a batted ball that:
a. settles or is touched on or over foul territory between home and first base, or between home and third base;
b. bounds past first or third base on or over foul territory;
c. first falls to the ground or is first touched on or over foul territory beyond first or third base;
d. while on or over foul territory, touches the person of an umpire, a player or any object foreign to the natural ground;
e. while over foul territory, a runner interferes with a defensive player attempting to field a batted ball;
f. touches the batter or the bat in the batter's hand(s) a second time while the batter is within the batter's box;
g. goes directly from the bat to any part of the catcher's body or equipment and is caught by another fielder.

Extra Question: A batted ball that hits a base runner.
Answer: Dead ball, the hit base runner is out. All runners still on base, will advance one base if forced. What else are you going to do with the batter??

Aug 1, 2019
South Carolina
Without delving into the discussion, is it possible that the fact you resurrected a discussion that took place over nine years ago may have something to do with it? Rules change every year.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Brkou812