Bunt defense

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Feb 20, 2020
Boston
Just curious on opinions about bunt defense coverage. I’ve always like my first baseman staying back as I trust them more than my second baseman. I know everyone has their own ideas. But just curious if I’m in the minority

Feb 10, 2018
NoVA
I think it partly depends on age level and how mobile your first baseman is. At 10U and 12U, I think it generally makes sense to leave 1B back because it is simpler and fewer moving parts. Puts more stress on your P to help field bunts, so hopefully she moves well.

Our 14U team has three or four bunt coverages, but the base defense has the corners crashing and CF racing to back up/cover second while the SS covers third. This seems most common. Depending on which of the girls is playing first for us, we also run one where the 1B stays back.

NBECoach

Learning everyday
Aug 9, 2018
I guess that I am more of a traditionalist when it comes to a runner on 1st and 0 outs bunt coverage.

Coach calls standard bunt defense - Corners in. 2B cheats 3 steps towards 1b, SS cheats 3 steps towards 2b. On the pitch the LF moves in and toward the LF line as well as the RF moves in and towards the RF line. CF moves in 5 steps.

Responsibilities when the bunt occurs. One of the 3b, 1b, P or C will field bunt. IF the 3b fields the bunt the C proceeds to cover 3B. and the 1b covers the plate. Now I've had many people ask me about that indicating they have the LF or pitcher cover 3B in that situation. To me having the P cover exposes the pitcher to injury (especially hands) should there be a play at 3B. Having the LF cover leaves no back up. A misplay scores the run. Additionally the C is already running towards 3b should the 3B be fielding the bunt so it's natural to keep in motion that way. And it's kind of intimidating to see the catcher with all that equipment on at 3B. If someone other than the 3b fields the bunt the 3b goes back to cover 3B with the LF as a backup. The SS covers 2B with the CF as the backup. The 2b covers 1B with the RF as a backup.

Everyone in motion with responsibilities.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rathouse