Bunt coverage

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

May 29, 2019
F5/F3 crash, F1 covers all up middle. F4 covers 1, F6 covers 3, F8 covers 2. F7/F9 backup based on ball direction.

I coach a very active small ball team with wheels. I love it when i see F3 or F5 stay home. We work on directional bunting A LOT for this very reason. I love it when i hear opposing coaches or fans yell out "they cant hit the ball all they can do is bunt"... That is when i fake bunt swing away lol

when a team doesnt have bunt coverage it is just good coaching to take advantage of it. very first batter always takes strike one on a bunt/pullback play so i can watch how their defense moves. I know right then when to call my small ball game for base running and situations. Heck i dont even watch the pitch i watch the infield.
Yep, that's the way the game should be played. It's been my experience that teams who don't play small ball, don't defend it well either. It always amazes me when you see coaches fail to exploit weaknesses in the infield.

May 24, 2013
So Cal
When F2 covers 3 it is amazing how many coaches see 3 undefended and try to bring the runner. It’s like F2 clicking and clanking toward 3 is invisible. We got a lot of outs at 3 this way.

Who do you prefer secures home when F2 covers 3? I honestly can’t remember.

Shocking, isn't it? LOL.

F3 crashing is already moving in that direction, so she is the easy choice in the situation. F1 is acceptable, too.

May 7, 2015
SoCal
When F2 covers 3 it is amazing how many coaches see 3 undefended and try to bring the runner. It’s like F2 clicking and clanking toward 3 is invisible. We got a lot of outs at 3 this way.

Who do you prefer secures home when F2 covers 3? I honestly can’t remember.

F1 is always the back up at home. F3 will cover the plate, usually she's a bigger girl with more infielding chops than F1, plus, can't have a pitcher risk a tough slide/play at home.

Dec 11, 2010
Shocking, isn't it? LOL.

F3 crashing is already moving in that direction, so she is the easy choice in the situation. F1 is acceptable, too.

Now that you say it the last team we were on that did that just had f5 and f2 “switch”.

Kind of takes the right players to do it the right way

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
FPVQ23