Bunt coverage for catchers

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Jun 19, 2016
In general, how much area in front of the plate should a catcher be responsible for when it comes to fielding a bunt?

May 6, 2015
3B side, probably no more than 4 feet or so, poor setup for throw, 3B has better angle, and they can start reacting sooner than C (C has to wait until batter actually puts ball in play).

towards circle, maybe a foot more, again, 3B really has best angle for throw.

1B side maybe a couple of feet more (C has best angle for throw here, 1B would have to turn completely around regardless of throwing hand)

Jun 19, 2016
I have been looking for a YouTube video on bunt coverage training and I can't find one that they cover the catcher's position. It seems like in some situations the catcher would be the best one to make the play. Going to first or going to second to get the lead runner on a short bunt.

radness

Possibilities & Opportunities!
Dec 13, 2019
As fast and far as we can get!

No reason to be limited by measuring this by feet.
Measure this by determination and goals!
Situations may call for more out of a catcher than 5 feet. even more than 10 feet.

Equally important and similar goal are pass balls/wild pitches behind the plate with runners on. Or drop 3rd strike situation needing a throw to 1st.
Can be easily further than a few feet.
10 feet is a good goal.
*to me a minimum requirement to retrieving a ball in play. Behind or in front!

Defensive players need range!

Last edited:
Jun 19, 2016
As fast and far as we can get!

No reason to be limited by measuring this by feet.
Measure this by determination and goals!
Situations may call for more out of a catcher than 5 feet. even more than 10 feet.

Equally important and similar goal are pass balls/wild pitches behind the plate with runners on. Or drop 3rd strike situation needing a throw to 1st.
Can be easily further than a few feet.
10 feet is a good goal.
*to me a minimum requirement to retrieving a ball in play. Behind or in front!

Defensive players need range!
I think you but the nail on the head..... Defensive players need range. It seems like some young catchers don't think of themselves as fielders. I know my DD is a pitcher and she gets frustrated when a bunt goes one to two feet in front of the plate and the catcher doesn't move.

May 23, 2015
Bunt coverage is not designed for catchers. Its for pitchers and the infield. IF a catcher can get to it then its a blessing. In FP if a catcher needs 3 or 4 steps out of the box the batter is already safe. In baseball the catcher plays a bigger role

radness

Dec 13, 2019
Bunt coverage is not designed for catchers. Its for pitchers and the infield. IF a catcher can get to it then its a blessing. In FP if a catcher needs 3 or 4 steps out of the box the batter is already safe. In baseball the catcher plays a bigger role
Disagree

Catchers can attack bunts/pop ups with range.
Generally catchers see immediatly pitch contact with bat for reaction.
Catchers are moving
to the ball in line with the target to throw at.
Can even do so on a sprint not breaking stride directly into throw.
Happens other infielders have to control changing direction of momentum to ball then into throw.
Forward and then turn.

Even RH catcher getting a bunt down 3rd line can get angle to align the play.
(like an OF aligning a catch & throw- get angle first)

There is also the defensive strategy of leaving a corner back for pick offs.

?...As to a bb catcher playing a different/greater role on bunts...why would you say that?

Last edited:
Jun 19, 2016
Disagree

Catchers can attack bunts/pop ups with range.
Generally catchers see immediatly pitch contact with bat for reaction.
Catchers are moving
to the ball in line with the target to throw at.
Can even do so on a sprint not breaking stride directly into throw.
Happens other infielders have to control changing direction of momentum to ball then into throw.
Forward and then turn.

Even RH catcher getting a bunt down 3rd line can get angle to align the play.
(like an OF aligning a catch & throw- get angle first)

There is also the defensive strategy of leaving a corner back for pick offs.

?...As to a bb catcher playing a different/greater role on bunts...why would you say that?
I think he is talking about 90' vs 60', but I think there are bunts that only the catcher can get. I am not talking about well placed bunts that go down the line. I am talking about the 1 foot bunts.

radness

Dec 13, 2019
For conversation

? 60' vs 90'.... is still not an explanation of the usefulness or % of field/plays the catcher needs to be responsible for.

Could also simply ask
(or point out)
Which sport has more bunts?
I'm gonna answer Fastpitch without looking at any bb stats.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sstop28