Bullpen Dimensions

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Jul 29, 2013
North Carolina
We did a double, I can get you the dimensions if you like, or at least measure the individual catchers lanes on each side. I've caught there countless times and it's not too tight, but if you can do a double, do it, it's so nice right before a game!

The catcher's backs are fairly close the the fence behind them but the pitchers have plenty of room for walk throughs!
thumbnail (52).jpgthumbnail (53).jpgthumbnail (56).jpg

Feb 8, 2019
I think 8 feet wide is fine for pitching. However, I would go longer. Currently you have 8 feet behind the pitcher which is minimal if you consider walk throughs. That said, if at some point the distance changes to 46' now you only have 5 feet behind the pitcher. Since fencing is typically installed in 8 foot increments I would go with 64 feet total length (8 sections @ 8 feet each) and provide 12 feet behind the pitcher. Then in the event the distance does go to 46 feet you will still have 9 feet behind the pitcher instead of 6 feet. I would also move the entry to the bullpen to 4 feet from the back wall by the catcher. That way your battery can duck in and out of the bullpen quickly and not have to traverse the full length of the bullpen while on the field of play just to get in and out. FWIW you never want to install a gate as shown. Adding a 4 foot section with a right angle will provide more stability to the design.

Also, a low fence on the spectator side is fine, but you must have a fence! Otherwise you will constantly have to shoo spectators out of the bullpen along with their chairs, coolers and umbrellas during a game.
This is great- thanks RB! Do you think it would be reasonable to shorten the space behind the catcher (a little) to create more room for the pitcher? Maybe down to 6 or 7’-0”?

Feb 8, 2019
We did a double, I can get you the dimensions if you like, or at least measure the individual catchers lanes on each side. I've caught there countless times and it's not too tight, but if you can do a double, do it, it's so nice right before a game!

The catcher's backs are fairly close the the fence behind them but the pitchers have plenty of room for walk throughs!
View attachment 15298View attachment 15299View attachment 15300
Awesome! Yes, if you could check the
Dimensions for me that would be great, thank you!
Also, FWIW- i dont know if i mentioned it but due to space constraints we will be doing one bullpen at each dugout.
I just took a look after work and on the 1B side there is a pinch point that just barely allows 8’-0”- so m getting comfortable with that. On the 3B line, leaving one side open may work because space is tight and it may not allow for spectators.

Attachments

• 12.11 Field Layout Sketch.pdf
    938.7 KB · Views: 8
Last edited:
May 6, 2015

some might consider this a bonus (less chasing of WP), probably not as big an issue in HS, but at younger ages end up chasing balls quite a bit.

Jul 29, 2013
North Carolina
Awesome! Yes, if you could check the
Dimensions for me that would be great, thank you!
Also, FWIW- i dont know if i mentioned it but due to space constraints we will be doing one bullpen at each dugout.
I just took a look after work and on the 1B side there is a pinch point that just barely allows 8’-0”- so m getting comfortable with that. On the 3B line, leaving one side open may work because space is tight and it may not allow for spectators.
I've got to go get a glove out of the storage building, I'll try to get you a measurement today or tomorrow.

Feb 17, 2014
Orlando, FL
This is great- thanks RB! Do you think it would be reasonable to shorten the space behind the catcher (a little) to create more room for the pitcher? Maybe down to 6 or 7’-0”?
The catcher needs less space behind then than the pitcher. I think you could get down to 6 or 7 feet.

Feb 17, 2014
Orlando, FL

View attachment 15298View attachment 15299View attachment 15300
That is a scary setup for catcher. Not sure what problem they were trying to solve.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Bmac81802