Bullet Spin

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

May 15, 2008
Cape Cod Mass.
This is making no sense to me. How can an air pressure differential be faster? You mean the air flow will be faster therefore the pressure is less on top of the ball, this means it is a riseball. But in order for it to be a riseball it must have some amount of backspin. And 'yaw' is defined as deviation in the horizontal plane (left or right) so how can the 'large dot of yaw', whatever that is, be angled up?

May 23, 2015
I've never heard of the term yaw being used for pitching, but that doesn't mean a lot. I know of yaw from boats, planes, and bullets. Never anything round

radness

Possibilities & Opportunities!
Dec 13, 2019
Screenshot_2020-09-16-07-01-20-1.png

Posting definitions only to show explanations of the use of words.
I do Not use the word yaw in s.b.!
It is my observation by the definitions that if we were to use the word yaw, the words pitch and roll would be equally important in communication.
While yaw MIGHT? be used explained for pitching.
Have never encountered it.
Perhaps because pictures would be necessary to help interpret it !
And more words would actually be needed to interpret pitch direction.

Bullet spin seems to be most common word to the explanation of
Sideways Spin on a ball traveling forward.

Last edited:

sluggers

Super Moderator
Staff member
May 26, 2008
Dallas, Texas
. But in order for it to be a riseball it must have some amount of backspin.
No, it doesn't need backspin.

Throw a bullet spin pitch so that the axis of spin is the same as the direction of motion. If you look at the ball from the catcher, you will see a "seam halo". That is, there is a blob of green surrounded by red. The red part is the seams rotating around the center of the softball.

But, it is possible to throw a softball so that spin axis is not the same as the direction of motion.

If you were the catcher, you would see the red seams only at the bottom of the softball, and not will be at the top of the ball.

On the bottom half of the ball, the seams deflect the air moving over the ball down. Just like a rudder on a boat, the air deflected down by the seams causes the ball to move up.

This is similar to a knuckleball. A knuckleball rotates only once or twice on the way to the plate. As the ball rotates, the seams deflect air in different direction, causing the ball to jump around.

Attachments

• seamrise.jpg
    seamrise.jpg
    13.3 KB · Views: 22
Dec 5, 2012
Mid West
View attachment 19272

Posting definitions only to show explanations of the use of words.
I do Not use the word yaw in s.b.!
It is my observation by the definitions that if we were to use the word yaw, the words pitch and roll would be equally important in communication.
While yaw MIGHT? be used explained for pitching.
Have never encountered it.
Perhaps because pictures would be necessary to help interpret it !
And more words would actually be needed to interpret pitch direction.

Bullet spin seems to be most common word to the explanation of
Sideways Spin on a ball traveling forward.
Let me get this straight, so because you've never heard of it, that means that it does not exist? Lol
Only wise men are forever students, while fools only choose to apply what they know...
Don't be a know-it-all, try to become a learn-it-all...

radness

Possibilities & Opportunities!
Dec 13, 2019
Let me get this straight, so because you've never heard of it, that means that it does not exist? Lol
Wow did you read what i wrote big word MIGHT was used.
With a question mark indicating it may be...
have never encountered it in softball.
Still its interesting so posted diagram explanations to help describe the verbage yaw.

Perhaps since you brought up the term yaw referencing softball & googling could you post something regarding yaw with pitching?

Screenshot_2020-09-16-11-25-27-1.png

Last edited:
Aug 21, 2008
No, it doesn't need backspin.

Throw a bullet spin pitch so that the axis of spin is the same as the direction of motion. If you look at the ball from the catcher, you will see a "seam halo". That is, there is a blob of green surrounded by red. The red part is the seams rotating around the center of the softball.

But, it is possible to throw a softball so that spin axis is not the same as the direction of motion.

If you were the catcher, you would see the red seams only at the bottom of the softball, and not will be at the top of the ball.

On the bottom half of the ball, the seams deflect the air moving over the ball down. Just like a rudder on a boat, the air deflected down by the seams causes the ball to move up.

This is similar to a knuckleball. A knuckleball rotates only once or twice on the way to the plate. As the ball rotates, the seams deflect air in different direction, causing the ball to jump around.

I've read and re-read this a few times, and honestly I can't follow it. I am not educated enough to understand Yaw or to know what a seam halo is. But I categorically disagree that a riseball does not need backspin. That is, a true riseball. Not someone throwing a ball 70mph with a high trajectory.

May 15, 2008
Cape Cod Mass.
Of course, but then it's not really bullet spin is it?

I think you are often right, as how many 6-12 rise-balls are there? Same is true for other spins, though some are easier than the rise.

So what do we call pitches that don't have their spin axis perfectly aligned? If a pitch has top spin but the axis is a little left or right of perpendicular to it's flight can it no longer be called a drop?
I define pitches by their predominate spin, and if it's close to a 50-50 mix I'll use both names, drop curve, rise curve, etc. To say it's a curve with yaw or a drop with yaw doesn't tell you much other than the spin axis isn't perfect.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Bmac81802