Bullet Spin

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Jan 23, 2019
So bullet spin has had me perplexed also. I've had conversations with my dd PC about wind direction, particularly if it is better to pitch into a wind or not. He said when he asks his students which one would they rather pitch with, most say with the wind. Pretty sure this is the wrong answer if you have a good drop ball since a backwind won't allow the ball to drop as much. Pitching into the wind would make the spin have more effect. I think he agreed with me and it's something I've noticed with dd that when the wind is behind her, hitters have a field day (no pun intended), but there are other times when they just can't hit it because it really drops. She doesn't pitch that fast but her spin is good.

So, wind is something not really talked about in these discussions about movement and in particular rise ball. So one thing that would make a bullet spin rise is a cross wind. That perpendicular force of lift would be independent of the motion towards the plate. So if the cross wind is blowing into a bullet spin and seeing a 6-12 spin then that ball should rise according to the aerodynamics (as long as there aren't any counteracting forces in the perpendicular direction to the plate - with a bullet spin it would only be rotational stability like a football has so nothing counteracting the lift). Problem solved!?!

Feb 15, 2017
I'm not trying to be difficult or argumentative but I've never heard what you're talking about before. "Green center" or "2 red bars". But, I am not sure how anything would effect the basic point of a ball needing backspin.

Based off what I've seen on TV, it looks like Ms. Garcia isn't getting backspin on her rise. But when you're throwing in the low 70's from 43 feet away, she's going to get a lot of strikeouts no matter how her ball is spinning. With that said, it appears her pitching coach let her be satisfied with a bulletspin pitch. Probably because she was still throwing exceptionally hard and getting results regardless. Maybe I'm delusional but I don't think it'd take me very long to be able to recognize that spin from her hand if I was batting off her. With the spin easily identifiable and the difficulty she has keeping the pitch on the margins of the strikezone, I wouldn't think it'd be terribly hard to learn to lay off it pretty quickly. An obvious advantage of a pitcher who can throw a rise with close to 6/12 spin is, it takes an additional split second to figure out if the ball is spinning forward (dropball) or backward (riseball) for adjustments in the swing. Sometimes that split second is too late.
Teams that lay off high fastballs (Espn Riseballs) that Montana Fouts throws have success, those that do not, don't. Those that connect when they aren't out of zone enough get sent over the centerfield fence and have dinner and a movie on them.

Sent from my SM-N986U using Tapatalk

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cputman12