Bullet spin, spin/ball release.

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Jul 14, 2008
First of all, this girl Is 12U. And even at 16U Gimme a break.

8-16-32 teams in the tournament. Some pretty good, some NOT SO GOOD. Runners on 1st and 2nd. 3-0 count to the 7, 8 or 9 hitter. Which pitch should I continue miss the zone with? Drop? Rise? Change? Lets not pretend this doesn't happen.

If a hitter hits ANY PITCH 3 outta 10 times and gets on she's one hell of a hitter. I'll take my chances with fastball in the right spot in the right moment. And it BETTER BE FAST, and it better be where I aim.

Apr 21, 2020
This indeed is the dilemma we have over and over try and try to fix this problem. Or let it ride for a little bit and let her grow and become more aware of her body (she’s definitely not one that has good body awareness yet. 11 yrs old 5’3 without a growth spurt yet? Her pitching coach is not yet concerned much over this. Pretty much her father and I freaking out weather to continue to push her to fix this where she can’t feel what she needs to do.
Is this a problem that needs fixed Now?
Is there another pitch that would be easier for her to pick up with this type of spin?

Ps Thank you to all the comments we appreciate all the feed back!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:
Aug 20, 2017
I’ve caught a lot of different pitchers. Fastballs vary in movement from pitcher to pitcher. Fastballs vary in spin from pitcher to pitcher

Aug 21, 2008
Nobody is pretending that pitchers don't miss with a rise, a drop, a change or anything else. Not sure where you got that from. All pitchers miss their spots, all pitchers throw fat pitches. I don't think it's smart to do that on purpose. And I realize this girls is 12u not 16, but that's not relevant to the point. Once she can get 6/12 rotation on the ball, it's silly to make that pitch have that rotation and not try to make it move. And before anyone says that their DD's "FB" sometimes moves (most likely dropping) then what you actually have is a dropball, not a "FB". I still maintain that the hardest thing about the drop is it's simplicity.

BigSkyHi

All I know is I don't know
Jan 13, 2020
This indeed is the dilemma we have over and over try and try to fix this problem. Or let it ride for a little bit and let her grow and become more aware of her body (she’s definitely not one that has good body awareness yet. 11 yrs old 5’3 without a growth spurt yet? Her pitching coach is not yet concerned much over this. Pretty much her father and I freaking out weather to continue to push her to fix this where she can’t feel what she needs to do.
Is there another pitch that would be easier for her to pick up with this type of spin?

For the sake of simplicity throw these 3 grips as a fastball and see what happens :D

Attachments

• Karlie 2 seam.jpg
    Karlie 2 seam.jpg
    152.5 KB · Views: 37
  • bb5f2645061d9381d7d74b09c476a5b9.jpg
    bb5f2645061d9381d7d74b09c476a5b9.jpg
    20.3 KB · Views: 36
  • 4841592012001_4866750102001_4866575691001-vs.jpg
    4841592012001_4866750102001_4866575691001-vs.jpg
    20.5 KB · Views: 36
Feb 15, 2017

Kudos to you for having this attitude. IMO you are teaching your daughter such an important trait - no matter how good we are we can always get better. Set goals - achieve goals - set new goals. Definitely celebrate hitting a goal but always remember if you want to be the best at anything you can’t be satisfied for long. Good luck on your journey- I am having a blast so far!!

Aug 21, 2008
She throws #1 and #3.. we’ll give #2 a shot

2pitchmom, you are aware that changing your grip is not the solution to your problem right? When you PM'd me, I gave you my 2 cents, and others have done so here too. The grip is not going to fix the mechanical problem that is causing the bullet spin. That said, even when you're able to fix the bullet spin problem, another problem is created when you go to a 2 seam grip. If I were you, I'd stick to 4 seams for all the pitches.

Jul 14, 2008
I wouldn’t stop working on down spin, ever. But I certainly wouldn’t be freaking out if an 11yo pitcher can’t work it yet. Especially if she’s using it with different mechanics. I assumed you changed to IR for a reason. Velocity maybe? When velocity increases the effect of gravity decreases, so no more gravity drop. So yes keep working on it. One last point.

I know you said she loves her pitching coach, so maybe it’s to you have a talk with him and get him to figure out what HE needs to do to help her figure it out. There’s more then one way to skin this cat and it seems time that he finds something that works for her.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RunnerOn2