Bullet spin, spin/ball release.

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Feb 15, 2017
Bulletspin gets no respect but it is not so bad and actually quite common. In the Powerdrive video shown above Amanda S is throwing bulletspin. If you look at the ball after she releases it you can plainly see the bulletspin. So don't go crazy trying to 'fix' it. A popular fastball spin is half topspin and half bulletspin.

Bulletspin happens in 2 ways. In the first the palm faces third base and the ball rolls off the fingers, it is like a football spiral thrown underhand. The second is demonstrated by Amanda S. The palm faces forward, the ball rolls off the index finger, between that finger and the thumb. The second way is more common. Sometimes you see version which is a combination of both methods.

I have a dog toy that I use to teach basic spins. For topspin the ends of the toy/football should point toward 1st and 3rd.

We have been using this break to get really picky with DDs mechanics and we have cleaned up one thing after another and continue to see improvements in speed and spin. We are stuck on riseball now. She used to have beautiful NATURAL 6/12 spin. It was crazy how quickly she just got it. Threw about 53-55 and it was just devastating because of the spinrate. Well...gained 3-5mph and now the darn thing is bullet spin. We have tried all kinds of drills and grips to no avail. Comes out as you describe in scenario 2. Its still a consistent pitch that she can locate extremely well but we know past 12u its gotta get better to be as effective. Following this thread to see if any advice given will give us that AHA moment.

Jul 14, 2008
First of all if I may say, this young lady has very good mechanics and posture for a 12U pitcher. That being said, she’ll never create good drop spin with this posture at release. This strong front side with push back and rearward lean encourages inside spin, which isn’t a bad thing in the right context. Say for example, riseball, inside fastball etc., but conversely makes it harder to get the hand squared for 6-12.

7205E019-1EFE-441D-A80A-0F049FEBF86F.gif

Drop ball posture requires a little more “up on the front leg” posture, with a little taller rear hip and shoulder. This posture will also assist in squaring the hand at release. In other words, you don’t “lean back” to throw drop, and you don’t get more up on the front leg to throw rise.

GET ON TOP OF THE DROP, AND GET BEHIND THE RISE.

Last edited:
Apr 21, 2020
Thank you all for responding! And thank you for the compliments. She working really hard to get there. She loves pitching and her pitching coach. Only thing good about this break in our season is she gets to put the extra time trying to get this right. Glad it’s her 11u year instead of the 12u.

Last edited:
Nov 8, 2018
She is feathering her release. BAll coming off the inside of the index finger. I’ll provide a few clips. To throw 6/12 the ball needs to release off all the fingers.
e97e578311a943768c5c0b33177ef0ae.png

a9e41342364ee643f66f6aa92002c1b0.png

849cc7d6210a099e22a51c38cb6d08e7.png

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

BigSkyHi

All I know is I don't know
Jan 13, 2020
Don't know if this makes a difference and can't really tell from the videos but is she holding the ball with the pads of all four fingers on the ball like in picture one? If she is able to throw with three middle fingers on the seams and little finger like in picture two, it may make a difference.

Attachments

• young-lady-pitcher-holds-yellow-softball-seam-grip-manicures-to-boot-lets-play-ball-142016222.jpg
    young-lady-pitcher-holds-yellow-softball-seam-grip-manicures-to-boot-lets-play-ball-142016222.jpg
    51.9 KB · Views: 27
  • 4841592012001_4866750102001_4866575691001-vs.jpg
    4841592012001_4866750102001_4866575691001-vs.jpg
    20.5 KB · Views: 26
May 15, 2008
Cape Cod Mass.
We have been using this break to get really picky with DDs mechanics and we have cleaned up one thing after another and continue to see improvements in speed and spin. We are stuck on riseball now. She used to have beautiful NATURAL 6/12 spin. It was crazy how quickly she just got it. Threw about 53-55 and it was just devastating because of the spinrate. Well...gained 3-5mph and now the darn thing is bullet spin. We have tried all kinds of drills and grips to no avail. Comes out as you describe in scenario 2. Its still a consistent pitch that she can locate extremely well but we know past 12u its gotta get better to be as effective. Following this thread to see if any advice given will give us that AHA moment.

I attended a conference several years ago where Cat Osterman spoke. She said she threw a 'corkscrew' fastball along with a drop, rise and change. So you might be better served by accepting the bulletspin fastball and mentally changing to learning the drop. Basically she needs to square up the hand and have the ball roll down and come off the finger tips instead of the index finger. That is what she should be doing mechanically but I am a believer in establishing the goal and letting the body find it's own answer. In this case the goal is topspin. In order to provide good visual feedback I would put quarter size black spots all over a ball so the spin can be readily observed. Then simply try to get 'overspin' on the ball. Start with slingshot and if she gets it progress to full motion.

If that doesn't help you might try to overcompensate and try to get her to throw a dropcurve. This involves rotating the hand over the ball at release to get top-side spin. It's also called a rollover drop but the side spin is what makes it effective.

Feb 15, 2017
I attended a conference several years ago where Cat Osterman spoke. She said she threw a 'corkscrew' fastball along with a drop, rise and change. So you might be better served by accepting the bulletspin fastball and mentally changing to learning the drop. Basically she needs to square up the hand and have the ball roll down and come off the finger tips instead of the index finger. That is what she should be doing mechanically but I am a believer in establishing the goal and letting the body find it's own answer. In this case the goal is topspin. In order to provide good visual feedback I would put quarter size black spots all over a ball so the spin can be readily observed. Then simply try to get 'overspin' on the ball. Start with slingshot and if she gets it progress to full motion.

If that doesn't help you might try to overcompensate and try to get her to throw a dropcurve. This involves rotating the hand over the ball at release to get top-side spin. It's also called a rollover drop but the side spin is what makes it effective.

Good advice. DD has an absolutely nasty drop that she can throw to any position on the plate. She has full command of that spin axis probably better than her fastball honestly. She is trying to get proficient at the other direction. Has excellent command of a knuckle change as well. I’d rather not less with a left/right pitch to be honest. I do appreciate your feedback as I was slow-mo’ing some Barnhill the other night and guess what I saw.....bulletspin rise. Over and over and over

Aug 21, 2008

Operative word is "threw" a corkscrew 'fastball'. I don't know of many pitchers above 16 yrs old that throw a "FB" period. Especially one that is easy for the hitter to see it's rotation. Bullet spin doesn't move, it stays flat. I simply cannot fathom why anyone of any age would want to throw a pitch that doesn't move. As I've said before, do you realize how many HR's I've given up on balls that didn't move? Where I'd go back into the dugout and say "It's just not moving today, this could be a LONG game". I cannot fathom doing that on purpose.

Will bullet spin work against bad teams? Yes. Will bullet spin work against "ok" teams? Maybe. Against good teams? nope. And if movement pitches work against good teams AND the 'ok' teams, then why not fix it now to prepare for the best competition you will eventually see?

Bill

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Brkou812