Building an indoor facility any suggestions

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Apr 20, 2017
So what started as a small indoor space for my DD to pitch and hit has taken a different turn. We are building about a 3,000 sq ft indoor facility for softball training. There is a huge demand in our area and very few options for girls to work indoors during bad weather. We are planning on 3 lanes that could be used for hitting or pitching. The cages will be setup so they can be pushed back and have a 40x 72 open area. The floor will be all turf so you could work on practically anything. For those that have setup indoor facilities are there any suggestions you have learned or any tips for someone setting up their first one.

Sep 17, 2009
Congrats. Trying to think:

Definitely figure out a good pully system for moving nets and another system for restraining them out of the way. Make it so girls can use it, not just coaches/adults.

Have some kind of weights -- bags of sand are usually best -- to hold down corners of nets as needed.

Have a staging area of holding pen for the next team -- an entry with chairs, tables, blackboard, TV screen if possible.

Careful to not have the lanes too close. For hitting, balls flying into side nets are rather dangerous for passersby.

Need good hitting backdrops -- ie, don't pitch into the net itself.

You can't have too many screens. Pitching screens and simple square screens -- not only to stand behind but also to safely turn one lane into two or three for multiple station work.

If you can, have a supply of other gear at the facility too -- Bownets, tees, softball, machine balls, throw-down plates, etc. et.c

Need electricity/plugs nearby for pitching machines.

Do you have room to have a squared off infield, regulation size? That's always great. Paint down bases and baselines. BUT...don't put bases -- particularly first base -- too close to a wall, bounce-backs are dangerous.

Have a good place to store equipment when not in use -- it becomes a pain to always be hauling machines, nets, balls to a facility. If it's one team or one program you can probably share an open space. If you are renting to others consider a lockable closet-type arrangement.

Put together a schedule ASAP to rent the place, including year-round. Encourage use in the summer too -- hitting indoors in cages is much better than on a field even during season. See how else/who else you can rent it too to pay the rent -- soccer teams, birthday parties, hitting/pitching coaches, etc.

Figure out a good access control system for the front door so you can securely distribute access -- options include a key-pin system, key cards, distributing physical keys, etc.

Cameras are cheap these days, you can post them at door and in the facility for security and safety/insurance reasons, saving a week or two of video in the cloud or locally.

May 2, 2018
Central Virginia
Partner with instructors and coaches for individual and team use.

Think about memberships and 24 hour access.

Have a weight/conditioning area.

Hold clinics

The possibilities are really endless based on what you want to do.

Last but not least, make sure your daughters development is not ignored in this business endeavor, lol.

Edit: I assumed you are looking at this as a business and not just a recreational area for your daughter and her teammates

Jan 5, 2018
PNW
If you can make it big enough to have a full infield you could use it so much more but I think that would double your current size.

very cool and good luck. I'm with CVSsoftball build it near me!

May 29, 2015
Trying to hit things that haven't already been said ...

Utilities will be a MAJOR ongoing expense that you will have. Make sure in your planning that you are not just planning for construction, but also for the ongoing maintenance. This is a significant mistake many people make (in any venture).

• Proper lighting -- LEDs, make it bright and place them right! Check with your local utility to see if there are incentives (rebates or discounts) to help with this. Look into lighting controls as well.
  • Heating/cooling -- you have lots of wide open space that you are trying to keep comfortable. Make sure you work with a reputable HVAC company to figure out what you need. If possible, install smart thermostats that you can access and monitor remotely.
  • Water -- make sure you are checking your sinks and toilets regularly. People are savages in public restrooms. A drip in a sink, a faucet left on, or a stuck toilet that keeps running can end up costing you a fortune. Consider a sensor on your sink faucets.
  • Timers/sensors -- anything you can place timers or sensors on, DO IT. People will leave lights on, turn the heat/AC up full blast, etc.
  • If you want to go big ... consider solar or things like geothermal heating.
Safety and security are now a major concern.
  • @RichK mentioned security cameras -- this is a MUST. You are protecting yourself and your home. Cameras inside and out. Cover as much of the place as you can, especially every entrance/exit, even the bathroom doors. If an incident happens, you want to make sure you can identify what happened, who was involved, and show that you didn't contribute.
  • On that same note, contact your insurance agent and make sure your endeavor is covered. You will likely need a separate policy from your homeowners policy. Do not assume coaches, trainers, etc. are carrying their own.
  • @RichK also mentioned a schedule ... make sure you know who is in there and when. Not just to make sure people have a good experience, but also for your benefit.
  • Contracts -- develop a contract that will need to be signed by each person using the facility. Spell out what can be done in the facility, what cannot be done in the facility, who is allowed in what areas (e.g., no one under 18 in the cages without a helmet; only properly equipped players in the cages; parents and sibling must stay in the lounge area).
Amenities are often overlooked in these facilities. You won't just have players practicing, you will have coaches/instructors spending hours there, parents and siblings waiting during lessons, etc.
  • Proper restrooms
  • Adequate SAFE lounge space for parents, siblings, waiting players
  • Seating and tables -- consider making this a "classroom" area that can be used
  • Consider vending machines for drinks and snacks, or even an "open honor system" with a fridge and snacks
I do a bit of business/organizational consulting on the side, contact me if I can help ... ;)

May 6, 2015
If building from scratch, look into radiant floor heating. in the winter, peoples feet are going to be the parts that get cold first, and just keep getting colder. also, insulate, will save money in long run.

I would suggest smart locks etc., so you can give people access remotely, or access codes that only work once or during certain time periods.

would definitely go solar. if it is not to be, consider skylights to keep lighting bill down at least during daylight hours.

also, clearly and permanently label/mark/identify all the gear that belongs to the facility

determine rules (like bat in hand, helmet on head) and post them clearly. have all players parents sign release forms, update at least annually

Apr 20, 2017
Thanks guys for all the information so far. Some good stuff in there. I wish it was big enough for an infield but with this building the size is already set and actually just been built. Not really looking at is as a business for now. The first priority is a place for my two kids to be able to use. Second is to find some catchers willing to come catch a pitching session then get to hit or use it for a while free for catching. LOL. The rest is just trying to help others in our area from fighting the same issues as us for a place to pitch and hit. Anything that it brings in I will put into upgrades. If there was a large enough demand I would be interested in building a much bigger facility and gear it towards a true business down the road.

I can’t decide if I want to do memberships for individuals or basically let instructors rent it. Then they can deal with most of the scheduling and all. I can see positives and negatives for each.

I have been in one facility that had a chain link fenced area for parents and visitors to sit in. Seemed to be one of the safest options I’ve seen. Any downside to that?

Sep 29, 2014
I know you just want to help but keeping the lights on and dealing with little maintenance things, insurance etc. that come up are not free to you. unless money just isn't a factor for you? Also don't want people around thinking they have free reign of the place.

I would think about different options but I think no matter how you decide to run it; charge people even if the fee is nominal or even if you let people pay later (make sure after x times you can't come back til you pay). Other biggest thing is the schedule you need some kind of scheduling mechanism that people can view and you can input into so no one gets confused about who has the facility or lanes. Would definitely do some simple security system even if its just a ring or simply safe system you pay a few hundred dollars and install yourself. Others mentioned insurance as well, make sure you are 100% upfront with your insurnace company about what it will be used for last thing you want is someone getting hurt and getting sued without at least having an amount insurance will cover (most of the time everyone settles for whatever the max insurance payout is to avoid the hassle). You wouldn't have to do chain link if you don't want to, you could use just another net if you wanted depending on cost

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
winters3478