Building a U6 field

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Jan 19, 2013
California
Our league needs advice about cutting in another field for our littlest players. We have the space and it will be used for girls under the age of 6 so we do not need more than about 5 feet of outfield. It will not be a regulation field and it will serve multiple uses in our league. Any recommendations on the dimensions of this field? Length of bags, pitching distance (coach pitch with tees), etc? We do not want a full size field because we know it will not be approved if we petition the school. We want to design a "miniature" field that the students can use as well hence the odd restrictions. This is community oriented project to continually draw younger children to the sport in a positive and fun manner with mandatory parent-participation (we currently do this, but borrow a field that is way to big). Advice is GREATLY appreciated!

Oct 11, 2010
Chicago, IL
DD played 6U and I am a bad dad and remember nothing about it. :)

If the bases are too close the defense will not have a chance to get an out, I think the bases need to be @50 feet apart.

You need about 20 feet behind home, 10 feet behind the bases for the infield. So my guess is you need 90 – 100 feet to have a nice workable field.

Pitching 30' should be OK, I would have the player stand back a little farther. I would be OK with either coach pitch or everyone just hits off a Tee.

Last edited:

Greenmonsters

Wannabe Duck Boat Owner
Feb 21, 2009
New England
Skin a regulation sized infield. Put in a permanent home plate (could also set base posts at regulation 60 ft) The 6U teams can play within the infield limits and use throw down bases at appropriate/flexible distances +/- a temp pitcher's plate if desired (if its coach pitch, I would think the distance typically would vary by hitter?) and older teams, SB and BB (up thru 12U), can use the field for infield only work. Wouldn't think you'd need a backstop, which would keep costs down and leave multi-sport/season use a possibility, perhaps making it an easier sell.

Apr 5, 2013
Back on the dirt...
I agree with GM. If you have the room, make it like a regulation infield and don't worry about the outfield. You could do a lot of work with any team if you could build a regulation infield IMO.
Good luck!

Jan 19, 2013
California
Thank you everyone!

The ideas are great! I'm now thinking a regulation infield might be the easiest sell. The boys programs pretty much run this town and this one large field is designated just for the girls program so we are VERY lucky! Whenever we make decisions we try to look at the greater picture for community use and that open mindedness of past and current boards has kept good relations for decades. I'll bring all your comments to our next meeting. I really appreciate all the feedback!

In our area, the baseball and softball folks get together on this. I don't think you can say only XX outfield area, as they have to build fields that follow rules. The answer will be (if you just want a workout area or 'fake' field), use the big field we have or some grass area.

So make the dimensions accommodate the base paths needed for softball, t-ball, baseball or other multipurpose. It is my understanding that the younger boys do not use a raised mound, so it works.

You may not even be able to have a separate league, and many are 'co-ed' at that age. In any case, let the rulebooks guide you (via google), not the other way around. I have only seen one park put these fields in (and we have soccer use our ball fields in the fall, which shows you how hard a job you might have), so good luck.

marriard

Not lost - just no idea where I am
Oct 2, 2011
Florida
We have a very successful t-ball program for our girls.

I have two pieces of advice to make it successful.
- You either need a girls-only division or girls only teams. If you co-ed it you will end up with 90% boys/10% girls and the girls will HATE it and they don't come back. Returning payers for co-ed for tball for girls was 5%. All girls division - 95% returned the next season.
- You need a max 7 players per team. No outfield. No catcher. 1st, 2nd, 3rd, SS, 2 girls in the pitchers circle and a girl actually at 2nd base. Most of the time they wont all turn up so you drop the 2nd pitcher and girl at 2nd if a couple are missing.

Field wise we just used a standard infield. Any hit to the outfield is just a single anyway (actually it is all just base-to-base). If you want to make it look smaller, put up a temporary fence.

Jun 20, 2012
SoCal
Get in contact with "EricF" on here (he posts frequently). His league (SMGSA) has a "smaller" field that is perfect for t-ball, 6u, and 8u. My youngest had the pleasure of playing on that field several times. It's the field in the upper right corner in the picture below:
LittleField.jpg

Aug 9, 2013
We use smaller fields as well for tball - boys or girls. I would say set bases at 50 or 55 feet. Mound at 30.

Our league is looking to go smaller for our teams. The optimal number for a team is likely 8. Fill infield, couple OF to get balls missed and catcher.

Jan 19, 2013
California
Get in contact with "EricF" on here (he posts frequently). His league (SMGSA) has a "smaller" field that is perfect for t-ball, 6u, and 8u. My youngest had the pleasure of playing on that field several times. It's the field in the upper right corner in the picture below:
View attachment 6967

Thank you SO much for attaching the photograph and the contact information!

May 24, 2013
So Cal
View attachment 6967

Yep. That's our home field. We use the upper field for 6U and 8U softball, and LL T-Ball. The bases are 50'. It would be nice to have second full-size field, but this gets the job done for our little players to learn the game.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sstop28