Brush Inteference

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Feb 3, 2010
Pac NW
Initially, I had doubts about how much BI added to a pitch until I tried it myself. It didn't take long for me, or the kids I work with to realize the advantages. Try it yourself.

Jun 17, 2009
Portland, OR
I'm not disagreeing about BI being a good thing, I don't know enough about pitching mechanics to make an argument either way. I'm just trying to understand what everyone is saying. I don't see how having the forearm brush the hip makes it speed up. It seems to me that the friction would slow it down.

It sounds like you may not be aware of the rotation taking place along the length of the arm.

Feb 3, 2010
Pac NW
Many don't consider this here to be a "light brush".

I prefer "light brush" over "bump," "hit" or "whack." Good IR creates a wrap; that when viewed in video, could be perceived as a "whack." The cue of "brush" vs "bump" is important to emphasize that brush occurs with good IR.

Last edited:
Jun 17, 2009
Portland, OR
I prefer "light brush" over "bump," "hit" or "whack." Good IR creates a wrap; that when viewed in video, could be perceived as a "whack." The cue of "brush" vs "bump" is important to emphasize that brush occurs with good IR.

I've come across too many girls that wish to avoid the contact .... for them the word 'brush' isn't strong enough. Time goes by and they come back to me still fighting the notion. Simply be more direct in what you are asking for. The word 'brush' to some of these ladies is translated to 'almost touch, but don't really'.

Now, if someone is going to teach getting behind the ball at 9-O'clock, and have the ventral side (underside) of the forearm collide squarely with the body, then that may be a problem ... that wouldn't be what is described as IR on this message board.

Feb 3, 2010
Pac NW
I've come across too many girls that wish to avoid the contact .... for them the word 'brush' isn't strong enough. Time goes by and they come back to me still fighting the notion. Simply be more direct in what you are asking for. The word 'brush' to some of these ladies is translated to 'almost touch, but don't really'.

What cues do you like to use?

Jun 17, 2009
Portland, OR
You would laugh at some of the cues that I've had success with.

I give Mike White credit for his use of "Elbow-to-Hip". I had success with that also. With that approach you don't have to tell a kid to 'brush', which many translate into just barely skim and/or avoid making contact.

Feb 3, 2010
Pac NW
That one scares me a little, but I'll give it a go. Sometimes it seems like exaggerating a feel gets the result. Sometimes it backfires...

I like, "pitch from the pocket" and "release closer to the thigh." I also like to use a bump with quick stops to get the feel of the pop, or snap. I hate to suggest this stuff on het internets because it sometimes gets misconstrued and injuries occur... Being there and facilitating in person is much easier.

Last edited:
Jun 17, 2009
Portland, OR
I hear you about suggesting 'stuff' on the Internet and it potentially being misconstrued.

Since you put a few cues out there ... such as "pitch from the pocket", which I like, I'm careful to explain to the pitcher that I don't want the ventral side (underside) of the forearm banging flush into the body. More I want the "feel" that the ventral side of the forearm will be orientated towards 3B (RH pitcher) and that the "feel" is that the 'medial antebrachial cut' (the portion of the forearm between the ventral side and dorsal side ... towards the pinky) contacts the body.

In BM’s posts he describes the vertical stabilization of the upper arm (humerus). You want this to occur with the throwing hand/palm inside the ball (i.e., the ball pointed towards 3B for a RH pitcher). This will have the medial antebrachial cut portion of the forearm making contact with the body … and because of the vertical stabilization that takes place, there will be a rolling action (IR) that will get underway just prior to the forearm impacting the body, and this rolling action will be further compressed/accelerated by this brush/collision/impact/contact/whack.

It is important not to get behind the ball prematurely (e.g., palm down at 9-O’clock, hand behind the ball at ~7-O’clock), with the ventral side (underside) of the forearm squaring the body.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sstop28