Brush Inteference

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

May 9, 2014
Umatilla, Florida
A question about BI and arm circle, my dd used to brush more then she does, but her arm seemed like it was getting stuck behind her hip. So she worked hard to get it so it's not behind her, but when I look at cat and some of these other great pitchers it looks like their arms are getting behind their hip and they are using it to enhance their whip. I know our PC is a big follower of Rick Pauley, (think they are friends) and she believes in brush. Every time PC says she's getting stuck behind her hip the picture of those pitchers pops in my head. I'm not sure how to work on it. DD has a tendency to throw inside and hit right handed batters. Her speed is inconsistent she's fast sometimes. I just hope that in trying not to get her arm behind her, that it's not too far out in front now. Anyone know what I mean?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Apr 12, 2015
DD has a tendency to throw inside and hit right handed batters.

A miss inside has a lot of causes, but if everything in general looks pretty good, it is a classic sign of a pitcher learning to work into their whip. In other words, if everything else is fairly mechanically sound, a miss inside isn't necessarily a horrible thing.

I know my DD went through a phase where she would whack her hip one pitch then lean to create space the next as she was learning how to work into her whip.

We won't mention the game where she hit five of the first eight batters she faced.

They work through it eventually and figure it out. Just takes time.

mothgirl
Check DD's amount of hip rotation/where does it stop prior to release. If the hips are over rotated it will typically cause the shoulders to over rotate also......this combo will often result in lots of pitches drifting inside (RHP/RHH). Use the old 45 degree standard (or slightly less) regarding hip rotation and make sure she is actually stopping that rotation prior to release.

I'm not sure how to work on it. DD has a tendency to throw inside and hit right handed batters. Her speed is inconsistent she's fast sometimes. I just hope that in trying not to get her arm behind her, that it's not too far out in front now. Anyone know what I mean?

Jun 18, 2012
Utah
Use the old 45 degree standard (or slightly less) regarding hip rotation and make sure she is actually stopping that rotation prior to release.

Rick,

Would the optimal degree of hip rotation be somewhat dependent on body type/characteristics? For example, would a taller, lankier pitcher's optimal degree of hip rotation be a little higher than a shorter, stockier pitcher?

Last edited:
Rick,

Would the optimal degree of hip rotation be somewhat dependent on body type/characteristics? For example, would a taller, lankier pitcher's optimal degree of hip rotation be a little higher than a shorter, stockier pitcher?

Doug
I think body type may have some affect but have seen such a variation within similar body types. Take a look at the pic below....this may be a larger factor and in some cases of pitchers with a significant valgus effect they may have lots of difficulty getting brush contact all the way down to within an inch of the wrist (which I think is ideal). This adds a whole new challenge to pitching instruction.....this stuff is not easy!!!!
Valgus Elbow.jpg

May 6, 2013
San Antonio TX.
Here are some gifs I posted in a previous post that I like to contribute.

Yukiko Ueno

IdenticalJadedCuttlefish.gif

PointlessCavernousDaddylonglegs.gif

Another example of Brush Interference from a very high level pitcher. This is probably the most interference I've seen but it works well for this young lady. BTW this pitch was 67 mph.

[video]https://youtu.be/epVOjEiLODw[/video]

Attachments

• Brush Interference DE Sized.jpg
    Brush Interference DE Sized.jpg
    17.1 KB · Views: 718
Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Bmac81802