Brush Inteference

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Jun 17, 2009
Portland, OR
Somewhere, FLOI is having a conniption fit...

Sorry about that.

Medial antebrachial cut ....

512px-Gray812and814.svg.png

Jun 17, 2009
Portland, OR
I prefer "light brush" over "bump," "hit" or "whack." Good IR creates a wrap; that when viewed in video, could be perceived as a "whack." The cue of "brush" vs "bump" is important to emphasize that brush occurs with good IR.

Ken, it took me a few reads to appreciate your description of "a wrap".

You are absolutely spot on IMO.

Let me add, that IMO, this 'wrap' that you speak of is enhanced/encouraged/promoted when the upper body is undergoing thoracic extension.

Jun 17, 2009
Portland, OR
I generally think of flexion as the opposite of extension. From that perspective it seems a bit odd to refer to "Thoracic Extension" as "flex(ion)".

That said, I believe the action is important.

FFS
I kinda struggled with the order of the acronyms also but just went with it. Sorta like I am opposite relative to the terms open/closed.
But as you suggested, the idea is solid and an important concept to keep in mind when training pitchers. One of the most frequent flaws I see in pitchers is they miss the second Bow......don't stabilize the shoulder rotation and provide the needed resistance.

I generally think of flexion as the opposite of extension. From that perspective it seems a bit odd to refer to "Thoracic Extension" as "flex(ion)".

That said, I believe the action is important.

Jun 17, 2009
Portland, OR
Rick, I tend to view what is labelled as the second 'bow', in 'bow-flex-bow', as more of a 'release'.

In terms of what is labelled 'flex', or what I generally refer to as 'thoracic extension' ... there is a school of thought that the thoracic extensors play an even greater role in stabilizing the spine than the abdominals.

Not only do I view the thoracic extension as assisting with the setup for what KenB referred to as "wrap & roll" (BI), but I view it as providing important resistance and stability.

Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sstop28