Brush Inteference

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Jan 4, 2012
OH-IO
Do you have a link to his definition? The whole open/closed thing always confuses me.

-open-vs-closed-pitching-style.

too closed

Still looking .... this is some context... Not to use BOARDMEMBERS name in vain.... but wish he would drop in with an update on his Definition... or one of his re-writers.

He says it's the opposite of what everyone else does. Maybe he will drop in to correct me :cool:

Last edited:
Apr 18, 2015
So at B/I is the hip closed? what comes first the ball or the closing of the hips? I always assumed that if you close the door before you get to B/I you would end up pitching around the hip? If you look at Kens pic of Sara, it appears her hips are closed well before B/I.

Thank in advance

Feb 7, 2013
So at B/I is the hip closed? what comes first the ball or the closing of the hips? I always assumed that if you close the door before you get to B/I you would end up pitching around the hip? If you look at Kens pic of Sara, it appears her hips are closed well before B/I.

Thank in advance

Java said it best:

"Brush is a byproduct of a couple of things... all relating back to posture and the position of the throwing side thigh as the pitcher heads into release.

So... where is your DD's posture creating an issue with her throwing side thigh... being in a position to receive the arm? IOW... why is her throwing side thigh not in a position to receive the arm?

An effort to bring the arm into the body is a futile one... but perhaps we could 'bring' the body into the arm..."

Feb 3, 2010
Pac NW

Thank in advance

The body opens mid-drive then at plant, closes to 40-60 degrees and firms up as the arms and legs pull in together. The upper arm pauses behind the hip bone and the lower arm wraps around the soft spot below the hip bone:

behind hip.JPG

Last edited:
Nov 8, 2018
My daughter has made the transition to I/R. She has finally found brush contact. And wow what a difference when she does it correctly. However, she also is finding contact with her hip. Ouch.
She has a short torso and long arms and her elbow is at the same level as her hip. When she comes through and brushes her elbow is slamming into her hip.

Any suggestions. ????

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rathouse