Breaking: NCAA Division I Council Coordination Committee Grants Eligibility Relief

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Jul 17, 2012
Kenmore, WA
I think the big unintended consequence will be making the strong team stronger. Maybe for one year, maybe for our years, but those schools that are competing for a national championship will likely have women who want to play a 5th year. That is great for them. This isn't something players have to do, it is just something they now can do. Those schools in the lower 75% of D1 plus 95% of D2 and 99% of D3 will have very few women who want to stick around for that 5th year. Some will use it as a chance to start grad school, but most will be ready to move on to bigger and better things. Likely the same will be the case in other sports, baseball, track, crew, golf, and tennis. For nearly all of these women NCAA athletics is something they do while they are in school, not the reason they are in school. The situation would be very different if there was a chance to make a real career out of their sport, but that isn't the case in softball. Maybe golf or tennis see an impact, but I don't know how many golfers need the extra time in college to be ready for Q school.

Mar 20, 2019
Gonna be a lot of athletes in the transfer portal. Maybe a chance for some of the lesser school to pick up some quality players if they have holes. I think it's a net benefit to the athletes, if they want to get grad school paid for (it's actually worth more than under grad). I know the baseball will depend on how the project in the draft.

Sent from my Moto Z3 Play using Tapatalk

Oct 1, 2014
USA
Seems like as with most things right now the situation is fluid. Pros and cons depending on the school, sport and year. Glad to see the effort being made to reach out and acknowledge some of the kids, coaches and programs though.

Jan 9, 2018
The only fair thing would be for all classes to be granted an extra year of eligibility or non at all. The players that are in high school would be adversely effected if they do grant one unfortunately . There really isn't a good answer, one group or another will be hurt. Thankfully for my DD she is still in 8th grade.

Apr 28, 2014
NCAA softball should allow seniors to play a full fall season this upcoming fall. The fall season should include a 64 team bracket for championship (single elimination).
Any more than that will severely impact all incoming classes for years.
The athletes had a full fall, full winter of workouts and 25% of spring.

Apr 20, 2015
NCAA softball should allow seniors to play a full fall season this upcoming fall. The fall season should include a 64 team bracket for championship (single elimination).
Any more than that will severely impact all incoming classes for years.
The athletes had a full fall, full winter of workouts and 25% of spring.
That's a great idea! Have the wcws in the fall for 2020 and then continue on with the 2021!

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Brkou812