Breaking: NCAA Division I Council Coordination Committee Grants Eligibility Relief

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Feb 20, 2020
It’ll make next year interesting, too. Are they going to expand scholarship numbers to allow for two classes of seniors, or limit incoming freshmen? A lot to still ask, but I’m glad those seniors will have a chance.

Feb 17, 2014
Orlando, FL
The incoming Freshman have an NLI which is a binding contract between them and the school. There is no such contract with the Seniors so I have to think it would be up to the school. But to your point, where will the money come from? If you are Pat Murphy you can grab a 12 pack, head over to Nick's house and make up the difference from loose change in his couch. If it is Southeastern Neverheard of U with a program that is not fully funded, they may not have the financial resources to carry seniors for another year. Will the NCAA also increase roster sizes? This seems like a knee jerk, feel good response to a complex issue.

Aug 29, 2011
NorCal
Not every senior is going to want to come back, some will graduate and move on. And not every coach is going to want every senior back. But where there is mutual interest I can't see why anyone would be upset with the NCCA decison to essentially grant a red shirt year to everyone affected by this.

Yes it could cause a log jam with 5th year seniors re-eligible next year but won't that shake out in the talent on the field?

Feb 17, 2014
Orlando, FL
I know of two kids who are Seniors who have already graduated. They have zero interest in grad school and are also out of state. Cannot see them just hanging out for a year to play some more ball. Going to be interesting to see this play out.

Apr 23, 2014
East Jabib
If all grades are granted another year of eligibility it will have a ripple effect for the next 4 recruiting years. It will affect 2021, 2022, and 2023’s moreso than 2020’s, IMO.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Feb 17, 2014
Orlando, FL
If all grades are granted another year of eligibility it will have a ripple effect for the next 4 recruiting years. It will affect 2021, 2022, and 2023’s moreso than 2020’s, IMO.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I am coming to the conclusion that this is far and away better for the NCAA and the sports programs than it is the players.

sluggers

Super Moderator
Staff member
May 26, 2008
Dallas, Texas
It’ll make next year interesting, too. Are they going to expand scholarship numbers to allow for two classes of seniors, or limit incoming freshmen? A lot to still ask, but I’m glad those seniors will have a chance.

I don't think will be a big deal at 99% of the schools. UCLA, Oklahoma and Alabama might have some decisions to make, but, for some reason, I bet those schools will somehow find a way to deal with it.

For teams not in the top 10, few of the seniors will want to stay around for a 5th year. They already have plans (hopefully) for life after softball.

There are some softball nuts (like my DD) who would play a 5th year. But, I think the majority will say, "It's been fun and its been real, but its not been real fun."

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Go_Ask_Mom