Breaking in a glove

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

May 24, 2013
So Cal
ANNASDAD - as usual for glove stuff - is spot on.

I recently broke in a Rawlings LA catcher's mitt for a friend's DD. Nice mitt. Can be made usable with a little work, and will get better as it gets to full break-in.

Feb 4, 2015
Massachusetts
ANNASDAD - as usual for glove stuff - is spot on.

I recently broke in a Rawlings LA catcher's mitt for a friend's DD. Nice mitt. Can be made usable with a little work, and will get better as it gets to full break-in.
[MENTION=9329]ANNASDAD[/MENTION]. [MENTION=1182]Eric[/MENTION]f seems to imply you're "not" spot on in other DFP discussion areas. Not trying to start anything. Just sayin... :rolleyes:

Jul 29, 2013
North Carolina
[MENTION=9329]ANNASDAD[/MENTION]. [MENTION=1182]Eric[/MENTION]f seems to imply you're "not" spot on in other DFP discussion areas. Not trying to start anything. Just sayin... :rolleyes:

Nah, just a play on words......Eric's a smart guy, he knows a genius when he sees (reads) one!:cool:

Josh Greer

DFP Vendor
Jul 31, 2013
Central Missouri
This is possibly a rabbit trail, but I promise to bring it around to the OP. Does anyone know the design comparisons to the Rawlings Liberty and Worth Liberty leather? I mean, I know Rawlings bought out Worth (or however that corporate musical chair thing played out). I ask because in my personal experience with Rawlings leather is that only conditioner and a lot of PnC is needed. But that Worth Liberty was a nightmare to break in. I ultimately had to steam it a bit. But once I did that, the normal break in process ensued. Still a very good mitt.

May 24, 2013
So Cal
This is possibly a rabbit trail, but I promise to bring it around to the OP. Does anyone know the design comparisons to the Rawlings Liberty and Worth Liberty leather? I mean, I know Rawlings bought out Worth (or however that corporate musical chair thing played out). I ask because in my personal experience with Rawlings leather is that only conditioner and a lot of PnC is needed. But that Worth Liberty was a nightmare to break in. I ultimately had to steam it a bit. But once I did that, the normal break in process ensued. Still a very good mitt.

I own a Worth LA, and recently did an initial break-in on a Rawlings LA. The leather is different.

The Worth leather has a matte finish. The quality of the leather is good, however, what my DD and I found is that the finish on the leather isn't great at grabbing the ball and stopping the spin as it hit the pocket, causing a higher number of missed catches. As the it got more use, it got better. Keeping it well-conditioned also helped. For my DD it was a no-go, which is how it became mine. My DD had the same issue with her Worth LA fielder's glove (same leather), but it improved quick enough that it wasn't a problem once broken-in. Despite all that, the Worth LA series was very good.

The Rawlings leather doesn't have the matte finish but seems to be similar in terms of quality. I like the Rawlings LA catcher's mitt a lot, and would (and do) definitely recommend it for those not wanting a Vinci.

Feb 4, 2015
Massachusetts
Instigator....

LMAO

Funny thing... My Dad's nickname was Maytag... because he was always agitating.

Once, he was playing against a friend of his and got him thrown out of a game. After a close play, he asked the ump, "Did you hear what he called you? He called you a #%$&$!" Ump took my Dad's word for it and threw him out!

I can only hope to aspire to such greatness.

May 20, 2015
She always takes the extra 5 seconds to do it right, that way she don't have to hear my mouth:rolleyes:

haha i have the eldest DD fairly well trained with this exact process......the middle one still likes to hear me bitch about it, apparently ;)

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Brkou812