Breaking a hitting slump

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Sep 23, 2018
I'm at a loss on how to help a girl on our team get out of a hitting slump. In the last 40 PA's she has 10 BB and 29 SO. She has put the ball in play one time for an easy out at 1B. A majority of her SO's are looking (she rarely swings) and her walks are ONLY a result of the pitcher not throwing strikes.

We work on hitting a lot in practice (with live pitching), but nothing seems to help.

Any ideas?

marriard

Not lost - just no idea where I am
Oct 2, 2011
Florida
If she isn't swinging - and that sounds like the #1 issue - that is often a fear of failure/taking too long to decide issue.

Simply add in a sign for her to swing no matter what and use it when she is facing pitchers who are throwing a good number of strikes. Take all the decision making away from her at least once a bat (don't do it with 2 strikes).

You simply give the sign and she IS swinging at this pitch - no what kind of pitch is this - she is going to try and hit it. Doesn't matter what the result it or if she missed by 3' or the ball is rolling the dirt or 10' above her head, but it is happening.

It is an old 10U tactic, but one that might help.

Last edited:
Jul 16, 2008
Oregon
You didn't put the age group, that changes what I would do. If it's a 10U player, just keep pushing, maybe ice cream for swinging even if she strikes out. If it's an 18U, I might suggest playing another sport :)

May 7, 2015
SoCal
Hopefully this is a younger player, 8u/10u. Simply give a small reward for swinging the bat at the 1st three pitches every at bat. Keep at it until she's able to hit the ball. She's going to strike out anyway, might as well swing. Knowing your going to swing detrains the paralysis by analysis of trying to figure out balls/strikes and the fear of striking out.

Jul 15, 2015
Not for sure what age we are talking (not that it matters too much I guess), but I can only speak from my daughter's hitting. If my DD is walking a lot she's taking too many pitches. Not that she always has to go after the first decent pitch she sees, but if she's looking at two strikes and only swinging at one then she is greatly decreasing her opportunity to get a hit. At our last game she went full count and struck out. Next at bat I told her to get more aggressive. She fouled off the first pitch and drove the second pitch to the fence. When she is hitting well, she doesn't have too many "quality at bats", she's hitting early in the count.

Batting is so mental and confidence means everything. Keep working and going after it. Soon the ball will quit looking like a BB and more like a beach ball.

One other thing: my daughter has always responded well after having a hitting lesson. They do some of the same stuff we work on together, but hearing it from a "professional" gives her a boost.

Last edited:
Oct 14, 2016
From the information given, I offer these suggestions.

- There are two strike zones for every batter. The "yours" strike zone, and the umpire strike zone. Now, I am not talking at all about good/bad officials. I am talking about the home plate. In the "yours" strikezone, there is no plate. It is purely what you can hit. (not make contact with, but hit. There is a difference). And then the umpire strikezone uses the plate.

When throwing BP, take away the plate. Make your batters hit to their strikezone, not a plate strikezone. Communicate that the plate is only there as a reference for where you begin, but you hit off your strikezone, using proper depth of contact.

- If outside pitches are the issue, make a "wall" (a large traffic cone with a pool noodle) set at the very edge of her swing. Pitch inside the wall during BP.

- Bunt to two strikes, then call a hit and run. Explain that the hit run has to be swung at, and it has to be on the ground. If either is successful, praise for doing her job.

- Stress the importance of productive outs. Ball has to be put into play to move runners. Weak hit balls that still advance a runner are QAB's. Celebrate the QAB.

Hope this helps,

Feb 27, 2019
My daughter (12U) had a dry spell over the last two weeks hitting soft grounders up the base line for easy outs, then she started to cut back on swings, I think due to lack of confidence in her ability to hit well. Two days ago I found out she got her hands on my bat weight and had been swinging it in warm ups and timing pitches with it on deck. got rid of the weight and she had a successful last two games. Look for anything out of the norm and return to the basics, I also toss practice golf balls (mini whiffles) to her when she's having trouble making good contact.

May 16, 2016
Can she hit the ball solidly in BP? If yes, then it's simply fear of striking out. You need to refocus her fear to become "fear of striking out looking". If she swings and misses... give her high praise. If she swings and strikes out... more praise.

Had a similar issue with 12u player recently. She hit well in BP, but she just did not swing in games. At a recent game, when she was on deck, I called her over and told her... I would rather you strike out swinging, then get a walk without swinging. First pitch, swung and missed (not even close to the ball)... I yell to her... "That is what I want to see!!! Good job!" Second swing, foul tip. "Way to go! Now hit that ball!". Took a couple of obviously high balls... then 3rd swing, she hits a bomb that bounces just short of the outfield fence for a double! She definitely is not getting a hit at every at bat, but at least now, she is getting her cuts in.

Last edited:
Oct 4, 2018
If she isn't swinging - and that sounds like the #1 issue - that is often a fear of failure/taking too long to decide issue.

Simply add in a sign for her to swing no matter what and use it when she is facing pitchers who are throwing a good number of strikes. Take all the decision making away from her at least once a bat (don't do it with 2 strikes).

You simply give the sign and she IS swinging at this pitch - no what kind of pitch is this - she is going to try and hit it. Doesn't matter what the result it or if she missed by 3' or the ball is rolling the dirt or 10' above her head, but it is happening.

It is an old 10U tactic, but one that might help.

Yup.

You'll get a game and notice the pitcher is throwing 70% strikes. So you tell the girl to swing at the first three. You gotta get her swinging.

You tell her you'd rather she strike out swinging than walk. You tell her if she strikes out swinging that's a success. You'll be very happy. And when she strikes out swinging, you clap and cheer and tell her she did great. Thing is, she'll probably ground out instead or maybe even get a hit.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Bmac81802