Break- then what?

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Nov 8, 2019
My daughter's spring season wrapped up at the end of June (she's 11- almost 12). Our intent was to take all of July off before fall ball starts up in August, but Coach wanted all kids to participate in tryouts last week. My daughter attended and was super sore and in pain- for like 5 days after!! How do I avoid this happening again when she starts back up in August? We are doing rotator cuff strengthening exercises daily and some stretching but not much more. Any tips for coming off break in a few weeks?

Sep 19, 2018
Just like any other physical activity. Start slow and build up. Do 1/2 of what would normally do for the first week. maybe even 1/4 the first could of days. Then 3/4 the next week. MLB pitchers start spring training with something like 30 pitch bullpen sessions. Then start games 1 inning at a time. There is no rush here.

They adapt quickly. Is she working 3 times a week or so? By two weeks in, she'll be back to full sessions.

Oct 4, 2018
Whenever we come back from a break, we start with drills. And at 50%.

One day of just 30 balls or so of "statue of liberties" or "show it and throw it" (start at 12 o'clock with ball pointing to catcher). When we first get to a full circle it's upper body only and at 50%. Then 75%. Then we add the step, but back to 50%, then 75% and on the last day 100%.

After 3-4 days of these drills we're ready to full pitch.

Nov 8, 2019
It was a 2 hr workout that was super intense. Lots of long distance/hard throwing. It was just a lot for her after having a few weeks off before giving 110% at tryout/workout.

Oct 11, 2010
Chicago, IL
Sounds like they were running players into the ground, she could have been in the best shape of her life and still was going to be run into the ground.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sstop28