Break-In technique

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Nov 5, 2021
Just recently picked up my daughter a new catcher's glove because she was still using her entry level 32.5. now that she's in 14u on a better team, the girls are really bringing the ball.

I got her a 33.5 allstar af-elite.

I can't get this glove broken in fast enough. I've seen a few techniques on YouTube without going to a steamer..etc

we're playing catch with it daily. what else do you guys do?

Sent from my Pixel 6 using Tapatalk

Dec 16, 2021
Heat up your oven to 350, turn it off put glove in oven for 5 minutes. Take it out and beat the heck out of it until it comes back to regular temp. repeat process about 5x right away and it will be loose and broken in.

Nov 18, 2015
Search for the several other All-Star break-in threads in the equipment forum.

For my daughter's, I started with a thin coating of Obenauf's conditioner in the hand stall (helps protect from salt damage due to sweaty hands). Worked the heel alot (flip glove over, so the pocket is facing away from you, grasp each side, and roll / flex the heel hinge).

Keep playing catch.

Buy a glove mallet, but it's more fun to make your own ($5 Home Depot plunger comes with a threaded tip on the handle- drill hole in old softball, spray adhesive into hole, screw in plunger handle). Plus 3 lb neoprene-covered weight (hand weight). If you're an iron worker or other sort of tradesman, you could use a 5 or 8 lb - my wrists sadly demand a 3 lb. Don't use the uncoated weights, the angles on it could cut the leather.

Use weights and mallet to work the pocket.

I've used Aso's water method on other gloves with lots of success - HOWEVER - I think his recommended water temp (150 or 170 IIRC) is dangerously high (to your hands, not the glove) . Boiling is 212(?) - the hottest my tap can get is around 120. The hot water loosens the leather - I don't think you need to go THAT much higher than 120 to get the same effect.

I'll post pics of my daughter's glove later tonight.

Nov 5, 2021
Honestly, never heard the oven thing before. Growing up we just played catch and used shaving cream.

I always had the luxury of taking my time, but her old MIT is rough.

Sent from my Pixel 6 using Tapatalk

Nov 18, 2015
What also helped - during a practice, I had someone shoot about 2 buckets of balls at me with the pitching machine - more would be better, but I was under time constraints. :) (wear a mask if you haven't caught off a machine before - the ball gets on you quick!)

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
brookeshaelee