Brag about a loss - amazing game

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Dec 15, 2018
CT
Can I brag about my team for a loss?

10U, did our one and only “away” summer tournament this weekend in Rhode Island. Last year (as a young mostly first year 10U team) at this one we didn’t win a single game, 0-3 in pool, and one and done in bracket. This year, went 2-1 in the pool, won the first bracket game, setting up a semi final against the 1 seed.

What a game. And it’s not often you say this about 10U games, but seriously it was fun to watch (and coach). Over 8 innings, great defense (1 error between both teams), great pitching on both sides (each had 13K’s), smart softball all around on the basepaths, some solid hits, some amazing bunts. Neither team had ever played a tie-breaker game, so that was new for both sides. We ended up on the heartbreaking losing end, 5-4. All 10 girls in various degrees of tears.

Maybe it was the field ump being nice, but he said to both teams he umps 16u all the time, and that this game was played as well as any game he’s seen.

Unfortunately for the winning team, they were spent, and got mercy’d 12-0 in 3 innings in the final (that would have been us had we won). They were a great bunch, with good (and friendly) coaches.

Great experience for the girls, and they’re playing their best softball heading into our last tournament next weekend. Very proud of the way they competed.

Oct 5, 2015
Amen. I imagine most kids dislike those 12-1, 13-2 type games and want to play in games where every pitch or every play is meaningful. This past weekend, my youngest won 1-0 and lost 1-0. Great games to watch. Really good softball

sjw62000

just cleaning the dugout
Sep 1, 2018
North Carolina
Can I brag about my team for a loss?
Brag about a loss?! Heck yeah! I tell our girls all the time, I would rather lose a well-played nail biter than win a 4 inning 22-0 game. As coaches this is when we see these players buckle down and play their best softball. All those long, hot practices and lessons learned come together to give our girls insight into how they are actually developing as players and as a team.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
brookeshaelee