Boys vs girls

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Apr 20, 2018
SoCal
This is from the pitching forum discussing men vs women pitching but I thought it better to start a new thread here.

Muscle strengths certainly come from different parts of the body.

Notice same topic with certain hitting mechanics.
Not the boob thing....
where strength comes from topic...
Where strength comes from is different? Please explain

Apr 20, 2018
SoCal
Nobody commented so I am going to try again. Do men/boys use different different parts of their body (muscle strengths) than girls/women?

I other words are male and female hitting mechanics different due to gender.
Somebody mentioned "3 vectors" where power comes from. Could someone please explain that too?

Nov 18, 2015
Depends who you ask - I've seen several former college players talk about power coming from the legs, but they almost always use that explanation as a way to differ it from a male swing - "we don't have big arms, so we have to use our legs more".

Words never spoken: "Wow, look at those biceps that Gags has...". I'm an average size mid-40's dad. I'm sure if I actually exercised on a consistent basis, I'd hit the ball farther, but I feel confident in claiming "muscle size" has had little correlation to any of my past hitting successes.

Ken Krause

Administrator
Admin
May 7, 2008
Mundelein, IL
I think it's more a matter of what you can get away with as a male versus a female. IIRC 70% of female's strength is from the hips down, so failure to engage the lower body creates more of a penalty than it does for a male whose is more like 60/40.

Everyone is stronger in their lower body than their upper body. It's just a matter of degree.

That said, over-reliance on the upper body in either gender will reduce bat control, which means less ability to adjust to the pitch where it's thrown. Which can be fatal when the pitching gets good.

ETA: The difference pre-puberty is far less significant than post-puberty. So you have to keep that in mind too.

Sep 29, 2014
^^^^ this I really think it's just the margin for error and ability to muscle the ball a little more given an advantage in upper body strength....but at a high level mechanics isn't just an option the higher and higher you go in levels the less and less you can get away with because of superior strength and that goes for boys and girls...that being said given sounds mechanics you would rather have someone 6ft 225 lbs versus someone 5ft 6in 160 lbs hitting the ball again that goes for either sex.

Apr 20, 2018
SoCal
Thanks for replying. I am thinking core muscles dominate either gender. Bicepts dont hit the ball. Scap strength probably important too. Avoid drag. Glutes playing a major roll.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Bmac81802