Book - mental toughness or other softball related favorites?

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Jan 8, 2019
Prices are back up to ~$30, but you can get on Kindle for $6 or Kindle Unlimited for free.

I think they have on demand pricing, so every time we go look, the prices go up. I got mine for about $42, and did not mind the price.

Aug 2, 2019
Prices are back up to ~$30, but you can get on Kindle for $6 or Kindle Unlimited for free.

I think they have on demand pricing, so every time we go look, the prices go up. I got mine for about $42, and did not mind the price.
That is crazy. Look at DFP moving the markets.

Sep 21, 2017
PA
To add another to the list, Kevin Eastman’s “Why The Best Are The Best”, is very much written in the same style as Mentally Tough Teens. He goes through 25 words that “impact, inspire, and define champions”, using his experience with high level athletes and coaches as examples. I really like the practicality of it.

NBECoach

Learning everyday
Aug 9, 2018
Looking to get my teen daughter a new book or two for Christmas. Anyone have a favorite mental toughness or other softball related book?
I thought about this for a while and I hope your DD reads the suggestions and they make a difference.

Now, I have read numerous books about coaching, (Wooden is good),. For the life of me whenever I suggest reading mental toughness books, or how success needs to be worked at every day to our HS team I might as well be talking to the wall.

Disappointing

Good luck.

Aug 25, 2019
Lady Tigers in the Concrete Jungle: How Softball and Sisterhood Saved Lives in the South Bronx.

Now, is is not a motivation or mental toughness book, but it is a great read. I wouldn't recommend it to younger players, at least 16U or mature 14U player. Lot of foul language and rough situations, but I had my DD read it to give her some perspective on how things aren't easy for everyone.

Nov 15, 2019
I thought about this for a while and I hope your DD reads the suggestions and they make a difference.

Now, I have read numerous books about coaching, (Wooden is good),. For the life of me whenever I suggest reading mental toughness books, or how success needs to be worked at every day to our HS team I might as well be talking to the wall.

Disappointing

Good luck.

Thanks! She did read a couple of the suggested books and I'd still like to pick up one or two more. She's always been a kid that likes to read, but I've noticed that she's not as likely to pick up a book nowadays so I decided to try a different approach. Now I will occasionally play a podcast or webinar while we're riding to practice. That works great cause she can't escape it lol. Also a month or two after covid started she did a couple online classes, one through Ashley Burkhardt and the other through Winning Softball.

What I have figured out is getting her the info digitally (zoom, podcasts, whatever) in shorts amount of time (say 30 minutes) works best. I've also asked her to follow some people on instagram so she's seeing those little bits of mental toughness type quotes regularly.

If anyone has recommendations for podcasts please chime in!

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Bmac81802