Boggs, Gwynn and Mattingly on hitting

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

rdbass

It wasn't me.
Jun 5, 2010
Not here.
Wade Boggs Told Charlie Day He Drank 107 Beers in a Day

untitled-9.gif

Feb 7, 2013
And yet in fastpitch I see so many home runs where a significant amount of the weight is on the back foot which supports my theory that MLB requires very precise and optimum swing mechanics to hit the ball 400 feet with wood bats whereas in fastpitch you can be very effective with less than ideal swing mechanics.

Jun 11, 2013
What made these guys such great hitters is that they could still do damage when they were either fooled on a pitch or it was in a great pitchers location. They could just serve up singles to left if they needed to rather than roll over on it or just strike out. Mattingly could do all of this while still turning on the inside pitch and putting up some great slugging numbers.

While you would never see it, I would like to see a team shift like they do for many lefties today when Gwynn was up. He would have hit over 500.

Apr 2, 2015
Woodstock, man
If I had these numbers for a 20 year career, I wouldn't care if he was hitting off his ear lobe...CP

Totally agree.

I was just trying to caution folks about taking cues from front leg swings (like Gwynn and Donaldson) and applying them to other swing types. IOW, don't mix and match them.

Last edited:
Jun 27, 2011
North Carolina
Totally agree.

I was just trying to caution folks about taking cues from front leg swings (like Gwynn and Donaldson) and applying them to other swing types. IOW, don't mix and match them.

What do you mean by mixing and matching? Do you mean don't confuse the two, or don't try to combine elements of the two? Can a hitter have a little of both?

Oct 10, 2011
Pacific Northwest
For efastpitch.

So I was wondering the same thing rdbass.

Are you saying they are not using their back leg?
are you saying some do not use their front leg?

Can you show an example of a "not a front leg swing?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Bmac81802