Body position on tag plays. What you you like?

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Jun 26, 2019
I have girls that play 10u and 12u locally. At third base on a throwdown from the catcher you have the choice of straddling the bag or setting up just down the line towards home plate, JUST off the bag, thinking if the throw is towrds second they can move feet to the throw without interference from the runner coming in. What do you think.
Also, same question for a throw down to a right handed first baseman.

Oct 26, 2019
I prefer them to be just in front of the bag. At 10U and 12U they worry to much about the runner sliding in and avoiding her. As you said - it also helps with bad throws up the line. As they get older, you can teach them on a good throw to move back some as the ball is coming to make a better tag.

If you have them come in front of the bag you are going to have to teach them to let the ball travel farther and drop the tag straight down. If they reach out (like they do in my experience) they will have a hard time getting the tag all the way back to the base.

Jun 26, 2019
If you have them come in front of the bag you are going to have to teach them to let the ball travel farther and drop the tag straight down. If they reach out (like they do in my experience) they will have a hard time getting the tag all the way back to the base.
The 12yo is starting to get that, the 10 year olds? Not so much 😂

Jun 6, 2016
Chicago
I prefer them to be just in front of the bag. At 10U and 12U they worry to much about the runner sliding in and avoiding her. As you said - it also helps with bad throws up the line. As they get older, you can teach them on a good throw to move back some as the ball is coming to make a better tag.

My concern at 10U and 12U is that most of the runners simply may not slide (and, let's be honest, in most of the high school games we play, too), and I don't need my fielders getting run over.

Oct 26, 2019
I agree. The girls will definitely have more confidence coming to the front of the bag

May 7, 2015
SoCal
throw down location.jpg
I personally teach receiving the throw in front of the bag. Assuming your SS is righty, its by far the easiest place to catch and place a tag. Can also play the short hop well being probably glove side. YMMV!

Jun 26, 2019
That confirms what I was thinking at 2 and 3 but what about a righty at first? Between 3 grade levels of girls on two teams we do not have a single lefty.

May 24, 2013
So Cal
Keep in mind that in game play, the SS has to wait to see if the ball is put in play before they start their move to 2B to tag a runner. Especially as they get older when catchers start having much quicker pop times, it's likely that the SS will not have time to get to a set position to receive the throw and make a tag. Learning how to run, catch, and tag is an important skill. When you're practicing these plays, don't have the SS move from their spot until the ball hits the C's mitt.

radness

Possibilities & Opportunities!
Dec 13, 2019
That confirms what I was thinking at 2 and 3 but what about a righty at first? Between 3 grade levels of girls on two teams we do not have a single lefty.
Heres a simple method.
1st base right handed
Athletic position
Slightly in front of base/line
In fair territory next to first.
Facing catcher.
Tag to glove-side outside left foot.

Similar to a righty at 3rd.
Facing catcher down the line
Backhand tag.

See ball first
React to ball.

Last edited:
May 10, 2021
I wouldn't recommend straddling at 3B and especially at 1B for any developmental player. Too much risk of lower leg injury for the developmental player plus it could limit mobility if there is contact between player and runner.

If the 1B gets to the spot and the throw is there I don't think there is much to talk about regardless of glove hand

Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
winters3478