Body Lean

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

I am struggling with correcting a rearward lean that my daughter has at what should be point of impact with the ball. I believe this is why she has little power and why she tends to hit the bottom of the ball or swing (scoop) under it completely. I hope I have adequately described the problem. Help!!!!

Last edited:
May 7, 2008
Tucson
It sounds like she has a posture problem, probably associated with not shifting her weight, but if you will post some videos we will be able to help you better.

(Or she might not be using her hips at all.)

Oct 12, 2009
I am struggling with correcting a rearward lean that my daughter has at what should be point of impact with the ball. I believe this is why she has little power and why she tends to hit the bottom of the ball or swing (scoop) under it completely. I hope I have adequately described the problem. Help!!!!

How old is she?

Some rearward lean is OK for a hitter who likes curveballs, but too much can be bad.

Thanks Amy,
DD seems to have a good grasp of the hips and hand relationship. She started out pitching and the whole open and closing of her hips (rotation?)
in conjuction with arm movement is something she handled well. After looking over countless other posts do you think her stance may be to narrow? Thus creating a balance problem? The batting center has video capabilities so I 'll se if I can post a segment soon.

Tom

Last edited:
Hey Chris,
DD is 14. 5' 3" 125 lbs. Strong legs, has a set of wheels. Needs to increase upper body strength. She is playing her 2nd year travel ball on an "A" bracket team. She is #10 of 11 invited to play for the team. Coach was up front and said they had watched her pla y and knew she had the heart and desire to play and the other girls wanted her on the team. Her time as a starter during brackets games will be limited for now. I respect his honesty. We have mostly played USFA and IFA ball.
I replied to Amy's post. Do you have any thoughts on my reply? She also seems to "defend" against instead of "attacking" the ball. She seems able to read the pitch being thrown. Her timing from a side view is good. She's just under the ball or hitting the bottom half. The lean seems to absorb all her power and take the bat off plane. Thanks,

Tom

Last edited:

Ken Krause

Administrator
Admin
May 7, 2008
Mundelein, IL
Sight unseen I tend to agree with Amy. She's probably not getting any weight transfer to the front side. Does she "squish the bug" when she swings? In other words, is all her weight on her back leg?

Ken & Chris, you are correct her weight is back, but after she has firmed up her front leg. I probably could push her over at that point. I have described the front leg as being a post forcing her front hip to rotate away from the pitcher. "Slam the door" is how I express it when she is practicing. Is that the problem. Is there a better verbal cue I could use?

Ken Krause

Administrator
Admin
May 7, 2008
Mundelein, IL
Push her over in which direction? Toward the plate, away from the plate toward the catcher or toward the pitcher. Sorry, I'm having trouble visualizing it.

hey Ken,
If you imagine her front shoulder (left) being rotated so as to place her chest open to the pitcher and her upper body leaning or tilted towards the catcher.
If I poked her in the chest I think she might actually fall on top of the catcher or to the catcher's left side. This is not a shoulder tilt over the plate, say for an inside pitch and she isn't lunging or leaning forward. I really need to get some video. I'm not good at expressing the mechanics. If I keep reading here I may eventually use the correct terms.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
brookeshaelee