Boardmember's Terminal Velocity video - response to TTB

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

2br02b

Trabant swing
Jul 25, 2017
This was brought up in another thread, but not really discussed much. I hadn't seen in before last night, but it has further made me realize that truth is still out there if someone is willing to work hard to find it. Is anybody else advocating this trailing arm "pivot point" in the way he demos in this video? This swing appears to get the barrel in the zone early, without a torquing action, but rather by providing resistance in the form of a pivot point. I am liking it.

fanboi22

on the journey
Nov 9, 2015
SE Wisconsin
I did see this video very early on in my DD's journey and actually made a make-shift BMTVST (BoardMemberTerminalVelocitySwingTrainer) with a broom handle and the effect was effortless power. Granted we did not utilize it for game swings or cage swings, just tee and soft toss. For some reason however i never continued with it, just didn't seem to fit the overall theme and didn't look to match what i was seeing. But will probably again go back and test this again with all of the other stuff that has been mentioned on this site.

For me, what i am realizing for my DD is that if it 'feels' weird or seems to take too much effort to accomplish the task, then it is probably wrong. the catch phrase i like not (heard it hear somewhere) is 'Effortless Power not Powerless Effort. This seemed to give the effortless power.

Apr 20, 2018
SoCal
I just watch his videos yesterday and I thought they were good. Worked with DD today on keeping hands near arm pit and letting the hands swivel. Gained 2 to 3 mph bat speed on the Blast Motion sensor.

This is a golf instruction video but very similar.

Sep 19, 2018
In Charlie Lau Jr book, he has a drill that uses the same open top hand. This open hand drill was trans formative for me as a hitter. Hold the bat the same way BM is. Work off the tee, then (IIRC) side toss, to front toss. I can't find the book I don't remember if he recommended ever taking BP with the open top hand.

It was the drill that drove home the knob to the ball idea. I had just read Gwynn's book and he spoke of 'knob to the ball' in it. It was not until the open top hand drill that it truly clicked for me.

Jul 16, 2013
Pennsylvania
I can't remember who it was, but I remember someone else using a similar open top hand drill. They referred to it as an "oar lock". It may have been BM, but I am not sure.

Something to keep in mind is that BM's reference to swivel isn't completely accurate. At least not from what I have read over the past two years. But to be fair, the Terminal Velocity videos were made 9 years ago (dated 2010), so it is quite possible some modifications were made.

Feb 16, 2015
South East
I can't remember who it was, but I remember someone else using a similar open top hand drill. They referred to it as an "oar lock". It may have been BM, but I am not sure.

Something to keep in mind is that BM's reference to swivel isn't completely accurate. At least not from what I have read over the past two years. But to be fair, the Terminal Velocity videos were made 9 years ago (dated 2010), so it is quite possible some modifications were made.

Teacherman used “oar lock” analogy a few months back. He said that the cue was given to some younger kids at a clinic. Who was having trouble understanding barrel turn or something to that nature. He said he uses his thumb as an oar lock with his hand wrapped around the handle.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

TDS

Mar 11, 2010
I believe oar lock was jack Mankin (tht) which I believe is similar to the barrel turn concept.. BM, did a great job with the hitting discussions and concepts.. He also did a great job of explaining the hitting stuff. I miss the PM's and all he had to offer. IMO he made a wise decision to get out.. I wish I would have been able to do the same thing :)

I would like his take now on Rich's prize student although I respect his decision to take the high road.

2br02b

Trabant swing
Jul 25, 2017
I believe oar lock was jack Mankin (tht) which I believe is similar to the barrel turn concept.. BM, did a great job with the hitting discussions and concepts.. He also did a great job of explaining the hitting stuff. I miss the PM's and all he had to offer. IMO he made a wise decision to get out.. I wish I would have been able to do the same thing :)

I would like his take now on Rich's prize student although I respect his decision to take the high road.

I am going to take some time tonight and go back and check out more of BM's posts. I have only paid any attention to his pitching stuff up to now.

FWIW - some google-fu shows that it was Jack Mankin that talked about the oar lock. We always need to keep in mind that what we search out on the internet appears to give credit to individuals for drills, terms etc., - just because it may be the first time it appears "on the internet" - when in fact many of the drills, terms and understanding of things have been around forever. I am not a fan of people being in it for the credit. Not suggesting that is Jack Mankin - I just mean in general.

At least now we have a more practical and easily accessible means to pass along the things we learn to the ones who will be following in years to come. I don't have to go to the library and check out the only book they have on windmill pitching to teach my daughter HE mechanics. ;)

Jul 16, 2013
Pennsylvania
I am going to take some time tonight and go back and check out more of BM's posts. I have only paid any attention to his pitching stuff up to now.

FWIW - some google-fu shows that it was Jack Mankin that talked about the oar lock. We always need to keep in mind that what we search out on the internet appears to give credit to individuals for drills, terms etc., - just because it may be the first time it appears "on the internet" - when in fact many of the drills, terms and understanding of things have been around forever. I am not a fan of people being in it for the credit. Not suggesting that is Jack Mankin - I just mean in general.

At least now we have a more practical and easily accessible means to pass along the things we learn to the ones who will be following in years to come. I don't have to go to the library and check out the only book they have on windmill pitching to teach my daughter HE mechanics. ;)

There are some interesting Mankin videos on YouTube as well. I would suggest checking out "Top Hand Torque". May have been the first version of Turn the Barrel.

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Bmac81802