Blocking/Obstruction/Interference rules - ASA ? (Sorry - couldn't find it)

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Dec 7, 2011
Defense can be where ever they want, they just cant hinder the offense unless they have the ball or are in the act of fielding a batted ball. If they have the ball they can be anywhere they like and as has already been posted the NCAA rule is completely different.

Ahhh - thanks honus & comp. I assumed ASA & NCAA was the same in this. Again, I am happy I did not get gripey in game scenarios - I knew/know diddly....

My example though, in what I would need to teach an ASA tourney catcher, ....I believe still stands:

1. You can't assume you will get the throw from right field before possible contact with the incoming baserunner,... so:
2. Adjust your position to be comfortably left or right of the incoming batter and try and swipe the batter going by.

This ensures I am not going to get a hyper-sensitive-contact-adverse umpire from automatically giving a run against me.

Dec 7, 2011
Oh also - I was watching LL BB, Mexico vs Panama. In the 3rd inning there was a grounder hit to SS and the runner from second proceeded to the place where the ball crossed the baseline and hopped up and over the grounder.

Now the SS was not necessarily going to make contact with the runner BUT he was definitely affected by the ball being out of sight about 5 feet in front of him and misplayed the ball.

In multiple occasions in ASA tourneys I saw the umpire, without any debate, immediately call the runner out on exact plays like that. I was waiting for the great critical announcing on the LL BB show to at least bring up the question,....but no...

Is Interference different also between LL BB and ASA SB and maybe even NCAA SB?

Maybe my fault is expecting stick & ball sports to share common rule sets where the acts are identical......

Jun 22, 2008
I dont know how the LL baseball book reads on interference. As far as ASA and NCAA the rule reads pretty much the same with regard to interference. But, from what I am told NCAA umpires are instructed interference is not to be called unless there is contact.

As for your play where the runner jumped over the ball, it is a had to be there situation. And, what I may call as interference in a 10U game may not be the same as what I would call in an 18 gold game.

MTR

Jun 22, 2008
I can tell you what the rule is for ASA but the umps do not follow it. In ASA the fielder must allow 25% access to any base, There fore no fielder is truly suppose to block the base. The play at the plate, The catcher can not set up blocking home plate before the ball is thrown.
1)If the catcher is in the process of going to get the ball and the runner and catcher hit each other than there is suppose to be NO CALL (incidental contact) Both players have the right to that spot.
2)If the catcher is stationery waiting for the throw then she who have to allow the 25% access to the pate.
3) If the catcher has the ball then she can stand where ever she wants

Love to know where you find all these stupid umpires, because 1 & 2 are completely untrue and not in the rules, rule supplements or umpire mechanics. It is not the way it is taught at any national clinic or school.